HELP regarding HPSP!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiley25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met with a Navy recruiter yesterday to apply for HPSP for dental school. I explained that I was not wanting to enlist, yet he still made me fill out all of this paperwork that said enlisted on the top and said that he would then refer me to the officer program....?

I was required to bring my high school diploma and take a computerized test as well. After speaking to friends of mine who did HPSP for medical school they told me that they NEVER did anything like that. No high school diploma, no test, no paperwork that said enlisted at the top!!! He said he was going to call me this afternoon to finish up my paperwork and I am wanting to get answers before I talk to him.

Did anyone else trying to get the military scholarship go through the same process?!??!?! I feel bad arguing with him and I don't want to have to go around him to someone higher ranked to check-out what he is planning to do with me. I just have a really bad feeling about this and I just don't want to end up enlisted!!!! HELP! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I met with a Navy recruiter yesterday to apply for HPSP for dental school. I explained that I was not wanting to enlist, yet he still made me fill out all of this paperwork that said enlisted on the top and said that he would then refer me to the officer program....?

I was required to bring my high school diploma and take a computerized test as well. After speaking to friends of mine who did HPSP for medical school they told me that they NEVER did anything like that. No high school diploma, no test, no paperwork that said enlisted at the top!!! He said he was going to call me this afternoon to finish up my paperwork and I am wanting to get answers before I talk to him.

Did anyone else trying to get the military scholarship go through the same process?!??!?! I feel bad arguing with him and I don't want to have to go around him to someone higher ranked to check-out what he is planning to do with me. I just have a really bad feeling about this and I just don't want to end up enlisted!!!! HELP! :scared:

Hahahaha! That recruiter sounds kind of shady. Did he give you a ship date for enlisted basic training? :laugh:

Seriously though, go to this website: http://www.navy.com/navy/locator/ Type in your zip code and then contact the nearest officer recruiting office. There should be someone there that handles the medical/dental recruiting.

Totally shady!!!!

Today I called him and he answered the phone, "What uuuuuuuup?????". I said, "excuse me?" Seriously though, that is exactly how I found him-through the Find a Recruiter page on the Navy website! This is the only recruiting office in Indianapolis and the next closest one it gave me was in Michigan! :(

After speaking with him today he assured me that I did not enlist. I didn't sign anything so I knew that I hadn't. He told me that he sent in my officer referral papers and he was no longer in charge of me. THANK GOD! He did say he forgot what I said my GPA was so he just put something down!:wtf: Also, when I was taking the computerized test he told me he usually puts people in a testing room, but kept me at his desk and had rap music blaring from it and sat behind me talking on his cell phone the entire time. It wasn't a hard test, but I'm sure I would have scored a 100 if I could have just had some peace and quiet. Now that test is on my application!

I am really upset because I am taking this very seriously. Commissioning into the Navy is something that I have wanted to do for a long time and is as big of a step for as getting into dental school. I just hope this fool didn't mess anything up for me. Ugh...

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally shady!!!!

Today I called him and he answered the phone, "What uuuuuuuup?????". I said, "excuse me?" Seriously though, that is exactly how I found him-through the Find a Recruiter page on the Navy website! This is the only recruiting office in Indianapolis and the next closest one it gave me was in Michigan! :(

After speaking with him today he assured me that I did not enlist. I didn't sign anything so I knew that I hadn't. He told me that he sent in my officer referral papers and he was no longer in charge of me. THANK GOD! He did say he forgot what I said my GPA was so he just put something down!:wtf: Also, when I was taking the computerized test he told me he usually puts people in a testing room, but kept me at his desk and had rap music blaring from it and sat behind me talking on his cell phone the entire time. It wasn't a hard test, but I'm sure I would have scored a 100 if I could have just had some peace and quiet. Now that test is on my application!

I am really upset because I am taking this very seriously. Commissioning into the Navy is something that I have wanted to do for a long time and is as big of a step for as getting into dental school. I just hope this fool didn't mess anything up for me. Ugh...

Yeah, that is totally unprofessional behavior. A recruiter should know better since they are the ones that usually give you your first impression of the Navy. Was the ASVAB the test he made you take?

Did you try this number? (317) 554-0700. This should be the number for the Indianapolis officer recruiting office.

Yeah, that is totally unprofessional behavior. A recruiter should know better since they are the ones that usually give you your first impression of the Navy. Was the ASVAB the test he made you take?

Did you try this number? (317) 554-0700. This should be the number for the Indianapolis officer recruiting office.

The test I took was the ASVAB. Did you take that too? None of my friends who are on HPSP had to take it and I looked it up and it says that it is one of the main factors for determining your acceptance.... GREAT!

That is not the number I called. That is actually a different office from the one the recruiting website gave me. Even though I have already spoken to someone and filled out paperwork should I still call them? Maybe explain my situation. I really don't want to throw this guy under the bus...he seems really nice, just doesn't know what the heck he is doing.

By the way, thank you so much for your help and advice. I thought this was going to be the easy part of the pre-dental process...seems to be just as stressful.

The test I took was the ASVAB. Did you take that too? None of my friends who are on HPSP had to take it and I looked it up and it says that it is one of the main factors for determining your acceptance.... GREAT!

That is not the number I called. That is actually a different office from the one the recruiting website gave me. Even though I have already spoken to someone and filled out paperwork should I still call them? Maybe explain my situation. I really don't want to throw this guy under the bus...he seems really nice, just doesn't know what the heck he is doing.

By the way, thank you so much for your help and advice. I thought this was going to be the easy part of the pre-dental process...seems to be just as stressful.

I took the ASVAB 7 years ago, but only because I was enlisting at the time. It is not required for HPSP or for any Officers for that matter.

Yeah, call the number I gave you and explain your situation. You need to hurry up and get started on your HPSP application, so don't let this enlisted recruiter waste any more of your time. Don't worry about him, you won't get him in trouble. It is his job to try and trick people into enlisting. :laugh:

Shady,

Because I have help so many people here, I have been given the contact for the different locations of OFFICER recruiters for the Navy. If you PM me with the area you are in and the school you will be attending, I can get you in touch with the appropriate recruiter for you.