Help required about shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilemaker321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi...... I want to shadow a dentist... but I don't know how to approach it... how exactly do we approach a dentist especially when we don't even know them????
And if they do allow us to shadow:
how many days should we shadow?
How many hours?
Any info will be much appreciated!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally a good goal is about 100 hours of shadowing, as that is typically the minimum number for many schools. You can divide this up into as many days as you'd like; it's just a simple checkmark to have on your application.

You'll have the best luck with your own general dentist, but if you need to go to another provider, the best bet is to meet in person. Come to an office and ask to speak with the dentist, and then inform them what you want to do. You'll get better responses than if you would email. Usually they are good about it.

I went around it all by finding myself employed by a few dental offices as an assistant. Those hours count and it may be easier to "shadow" since it is on the job experience.

Thanks for the info...!! But what about how many days,hours etc... is this according to our liking??? I'm kinda finding it hard to approach someone that I don't know... should I call them beforehand or just go in without any prior notice?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can call, that's fine.

You want to shoot for a minimum of 100 hours. How you slice the cake doesn't matter, it's just that you have the cake.

Just one more question... so are you saying that the hours count...not how many months ??? Coz you can divide 100 hours in 3 months... but you would get only 3 months of shadowing... but if you divided among 6 months... then you would get 6 months worth of shadowing... Bit confused about that... :bag:

Just one more question... so are you saying that the hours count...not how many months ??? Coz you can divide 100 hours in 3 months... but you would get only 3 months of shadowing... but if you divided among 6 months... then you would get 6 months worth of shadowing... Bit confused about that... :bag:
It doesn't matter the amount of months you shadowed. You could've shadowed 20 hours in 2 months or 20 hours in one month, they still count the same. All that matters is the number of hours.

OK... Thanks helprosie for the clarification!!!! :happy::happy::happy::happy:

Reactions: 1 user