HELP--should i retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

london06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 30 on my last MCAT...with 10's in each section.
GPA=3.7

I know a 30 is usually the lowest score med schools will look for before accepting someone, but will the 3.7 help, or should i take it over again and try to get higher. If i take it again it will be my 3rd time. Do you think it looks bad to med schools that I had to take it 3 times, or does that not matter at all?

Members don't see this ad.

GPA=3.7

I know a 30 is usually the lowest score med schools will look for before accepting someone, but will the 3.7 help, or should i take it over again and try to get higher. If i take it again it will be my 3rd time. Do you think it looks bad to med schools that I had to take it 3 times, or does that not matter at all?

I think you've been reading SDN too long. No, an overall score of 30 isn't the magic dividing line between acceptance and not. It is, in fact, the average overall score for a matriculant. What this means is that people have gotten in with lower and higher scores.

As of right now, you have a decent, well-balanced score. In addition, your GPA is slightly above average. You are on good footing, so to speak, I think. You should get some interviews if you apply early and broadly. On the other hand, it really depends on what schools you are shooting for. If you are shooting for top 20 schools, and you are interested in academic medicine/clinical research, then perhaps you will want to attain a higher MCAT. Otherwise, as I mentioned earlier, you should get interviews with your current stats, provided you have a solid application and apply broadly. In any case, IF you think you can do better than 30 (that is, you've diagnosed where your problems are and treated them accordingly, and taken additional practice tests and scored higher than 30 consistantly), then consider it. It never hurts to have a higher MCAT score than before; it just increases your odds. If you perform less well, however, you sure didn't do yourself any favors. This is a risk you have to evaluate. Different schools treat multiple MCAT scores differently; check with them to find out what they do. Some take your highest score(s), some average them, etc. It's hard to say what schools will do now that the MCAT is offered 22 times a year.

These are just my viewpoints, take them as you will. :luck:

GPA=3.7

No you shouldn't retake. Are you in the US?? If so, what state? What are your ECs like??

BTW, in Florida you'd qualify for EDP automatically because those are the min. criteria for EDP.

No you shouldn't retake. Are you in the US?? If so, what state? What are your ECs like??

BTW, in Florida you'd qualify for EDP automatically because those are the min. criteria for EDP.

I am in NY and I plan on really only applying to schools in NY, state and private. I have done a lot of research work and some volunteer work, which I plan on doing more of before I apply in June. Ive already graduated and am working in a research lab now.

What is EDP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for it! You have a decent MCAT score and good G.P.A.:thumbup: I'm curious what was your major?

If it took you two tries to get a 30, what makes you think you can score any higher the third time?

GPA=3.7

I am in NY and I plan on really only applying to schools in NY, state and private. I have done a lot of research work and some volunteer work, which I plan on doing more of before I apply in June. Ive already graduated and am working in a research lab now.

What is EDP?

Spicederma already stated what EDP is so I won't repeat what he's said.

But based on this additional information you are probably on the right track for NY schools. I could probably forsee you having a chance at places like some of the SUNY's and Albany and NYMC with relative ease. If you have some publications and more volunteerism then I think you'll still possibly qualify at the more well known schools. Your numbers also don't put you out of the running at NYU or Mt. Sinai.

You should consider whether you think you could get a 3-5+ point increase on the MCAT by virtue of taking practice tests before you even contemplate doing so. However if your aim is not a top name research school but rather a SUNY or somewhere like NYMC/Albany etc. then you are probably going to be fine. But I'd talk with adcom directors there and see if they have any advice for you on whether you need more volunteer experiences or things of that nature.