HELP! starting as a pharmacist at CVS this week!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propranolol20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice from current cvs pharmacists would be greatly appreciated. I just graduated in May and took Naplex and Law in June. My DM must have been checking the board non-stop because he knew before me that I was licensed (which by the way was just last thursday!) He called me up and told me I would be starting this week as a floater. I am extremely nervous because Ive only had a few weeks of training and it was basically only tech work. I work at a CVS in a vacation area in the summer and its the ONLY pharmacy over the bridge. I take all the voicemails, do all the transfers(minimum 20 per day), write up emergency supplies (more than transfers), and do most of the counseling. Saturday was my last day so my pharmacist let me verify all day. I verified 195 scripts from 9 to 6 and i was exhausted. I don't know how I'm going to do it BY MYSELF this week for 13 hours a day. I had so many questions as I was verifying everything was a hard stop. I was told almost everything was fine hit B then 1, enter. I don't even want to talk about the metrics bc they have all these tricks just to make the numbers look better and it takes up all this extra time and its too much for me to learn all at once. My pharmacist had me make the schedule on my schedule and it took me hours just to try and do, I'm sure she had to change it.

Basically I'm freaking out because I'm nervous about being alone especially at different cvs, i know i can call people but I'm looking for any tips in the meantime. I was hoping I could get there an hour early but it turns out that each of the stores im at the pharmacy opens the same time as the front so I'm even more worried.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just focus on verifying scripts and taking care of voicemail/call-ins. It's your first week; I doubt they are going to drill you about metrics unless you are verifying 10 scripts an hour (then again this is CVS...). If you aren't sure about something check their profile and see if they have been on it before. Have the techs deal with all insurance/phone calls/pick-up if possible. Ask the other pharmacies to fax you transfers and just have your techs enter them in if possible. Have the best techs at drop-off. Just don't let the building burn down or dispense a wrong med, keep a positive attitude with the techs/customers, and you will be fine.

Last edited:
Not going to lie, it's tough as a new graduate until you overcome 1) technology/computer system learning curve, 2) knowing how to delegate & who is appropriate to delegate work to (efficiency), & 3) getting over dinguses who think you don't know anything because they expect ALL pharmacists to be 40+yo it seems.

Many of the hard stops will be "high doses" based on pt age, insurance limits, off-label use, etc. When in doubt, just review the pt's Hx (history) & see whether this is a usual dose for them. New drugs with DURs of 1-2 warnings (most severe) should be set aside to contact physician &/or pt; use your judgment. Review DUR comments (DC) & Fill Notes (FN) & History (H, very useful for past billing) to pick up potential clues when verifying.

With enough repetition, you'll become a machine eventually as you will become accustomed to the system. Take some propranolol to not freak out (jokingly) looking like a headless chicken running around all over the place

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I second what Idiot and RxVampire said - focus on verifying correctly. In my experience most DURs (>95%) are garbage. But if it is a new script and a severe interaction it would be best to get it clarified before dispensing. In time you will figure out which interactions actually merit an intervention (in my experience very few). Good luck!:luck:

thank you guys, I'm already looking for another job. they have thrown me to the sharks. I'm working 50 hours a week 7 days week and obviously no overtime. they put be in a vacation spot with 1 tech and i did not leave until midnight. I had a good cry and realized its not worth the money. how do you send brand new pharmacists and floater to a busy store with no techs??? i was getting the 20 cars in drive thru, 50 pick ups and drops off and all while I heard "5 pharmacy calls 5 pharmacy calls". Not to mention everything was red, OT,QP,QV and 10 voicemails!!!!!! wtf. i have 2 kids that i never get to see bc i sold my soul to cvs and unfortunately have 250,000 in student loans to pay off......should have been a stay at home mom!

thank you guys, I'm already looking for another job. they have thrown me to the sharks. I'm working 50 hours a week 7 days week and obviously no overtime. they put be in a vacation spot with 1 tech and i did not leave until midnight. I had a good cry and realized its not worth the money. how do you send brand new pharmacists and floater to a busy store with no techs??? i was getting the 20 cars in drive thru, 50 pick ups and drops off and all while I heard "5 pharmacy calls 5 pharmacy calls". Not to mention everything was red, OT,QP,QV and 10 voicemails!!!!!! wtf. i have 2 kids that i never get to see bc i sold my soul to cvs and unfortunately have 250,000 in student loans to pay off......should have been a stay at home mom!
No overtime? What state are you in? In California anything over 8 is x 1.5 or over 40 a week is x1.5. I have somedays where i'm making over $100 an hour. I don't think I would work as a pharmacist in any other state if this is the case lol

grocery store is legit thats where i need to go..have to wait for someone to die tho thats the problem
Stick it out with CVS. By far highest paying. Once you get the system down it's cake. When your Wecare is in the 90's and your workflow is legit it's easy no matter what the volume is.

Tell the RxSupervisor that you need help badly (in writing). Then you can blame them for doing the following when you remain understaffed:
  1. Put up a sign that the drive thru will be closed due to inadequate staffing.
  2. Unplug the drive-thru sensor (usually a black box under the window or in the cabinet under the register there).
  3. Ignore/unplug the phones.
  4. Tell the front store you need any cross-trained bodies they have.
  5. Don't take the ensuing sh1tstorm personally.
  6. Update your resume.
  7. GTFO ASAP!

Reactions: 2 users
No overtime? What state are you in? In California anything over 8 is x 1.5 or over 40 a week is x1.5. I have somedays where i'm making over $100 an hour. I don't think I would work as a pharmacist in any other state if this is the case lol
California is nothing like the rest of the country for pharmacists.

This is so scary...how can they do this to new grad?? I mean, how much would a tech cost compared to getting so much angry patients and increase chances of making error? What are the managers / corporate thinking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell the RxSupervisor that you need help badly (in writing). Then you can blame them for doing the following when you remain understaffed:
  1. Put up a sign that the drive thru will be closed due to inadequate staffing.
  2. Unplug the drive-thru sensor (usually a black box under the window or in the cabinet under the register there).
  3. Ignore/unplug the phones.
  4. Tell the front store you need any cross-trained bodies they have.
  5. Don't take the ensuing sh1tstorm personally.
  6. Update your resume.
  7. GTFO ASAP!
When I was an intern, the pharmacist just changed the store hours to closed lol

Stick it out with CVS. By far highest paying. Once you get the system down it's cake. When your Wecare is in the 90's and your workflow is legit it's easy no matter what the volume is.
Now, if you've got "the system down" and lines at pick up, drop off, and drive thru, how does this "system" allow 2 humans to be in 3 customer-facing positions? And what about actually filling the prescriptions? Does "the system" do that, too?

just keep churning those scripts out...keep the wheeling turning

Now, if you've got "the system down" and lines at pick up, drop off, and drive thru, how does this "system" allow 2 humans to be in 3 customer-facing positions? And what about actually filling the prescriptions? Does "the system" do that, too?
It's not always going to be 2 people. No idea who's doing the schedule or what happened there. Stick it out, eventually you get your own store and run it how you want to run it. I went thru the same crap when I first started. First month as a new grad I floated. I was at 24 hour stores that do 4000 a week with just 2 and if I was lucky 3 techs. Poorly run place now that I look at it. Now I have my own store that i'm the manager of and run it and schedule it the way I want to.

Lol you sure you both work for CVS? Gonna have to disagree with you there 6GodPharm. CVS and "cake" should never be used in the same sentence. If you think you've got it gamed, they'll find a way to screw you over. Just wait.

OP, sorry if my screen name triggers any post-traumatic episodes. I really do feel for you and I've been there. I got out and you can too.

Any advice from current cvs pharmacists would be greatly appreciated. I just graduated in May and took Naplex and Law in June. My DM must have been checking the board non-stop because he knew before me that I was licensed (which by the way was just last thursday!) He called me up and told me I would be starting this week as a floater. I am extremely nervous because Ive only had a few weeks of training and it was basically only tech work. I work at a CVS in a vacation area in the summer and its the ONLY pharmacy over the bridge. I take all the voicemails, do all the transfers(minimum 20 per day), write up emergency supplies (more than transfers), and do most of the counseling. Saturday was my last day so my pharmacist let me verify all day. I verified 195 scripts from 9 to 6 and i was exhausted. I don't know how I'm going to do it BY MYSELF this week for 13 hours a day. I had so many questions as I was verifying everything was a hard stop. I was told almost everything was fine hit B then 1, enter. I don't even want to talk about the metrics bc they have all these tricks just to make the numbers look better and it takes up all this extra time and its too much for me to learn all at once. My pharmacist had me make the schedule on my schedule and it took me hours just to try and do, I'm sure she had to change it.

Basically I'm freaking out because I'm nervous about being alone especially at different cvs, i know i can call people but I'm looking for any tips in the meantime. I was hoping I could get there an hour early but it turns out that each of the stores im at the pharmacy opens the same time as the front so I'm even more worried.

Here are some tips I hope you find useful:

1. Your #1 priority is to verify confidently and accurately. Be sure that when you staple that bag you can let it go for good.
  2. Always sport a smile and take care of whoever is in front of you. People in front of you are first.
  3. Give realistic wait times. You can't tell everyone it will be 15 minutes if you have 20 drop offs at drive through. Let patients know where they really are in your queue. Too often people come up to the drive-thru thinking you've been sitting there all day waiting for them to stop by. Tell them "I have 5 people waiting ahead of you. This will realistically be ready tomorrow after 12 pm (or whatever is reasonable). (That's the best I can do for you.)" Smile and most people will understand that really, it is not within your control. At some point you have to stop taking waiters. A lot of people will just say "that's fine. I'll just stop by on my way to work tomorrow morning"
  4. The drive-thru sign stating "drive thru will be closed due to inadequate staffing". No offense to zelman as I have gotten sound advice from him in the past. However, I do not know that I would have done that as a new grad. When I worked the overnight shift I did put up a sign letting people know I had gone to the restroom and that I would be back in X minutes. All that being said... it is nearly impossible to get fired from CVS and if you ever are, no one will care.
  5. Keep snacks with you. And feed your technicians. They will be much more willing to go the extra mile for you.
  6. Keep it lighthearted. Do not take it personally. Hit the reset button every time someone gets snippy or out of hand.
  7. Do your best but do not arrive more than 15 minutes early and do not stay more than 15 minutes past the end of your shift. Those 2 are professional courtesies. Believe me, you will not get fired.
  8. Try your best to remain a float pharmacist for as long as you can.
  9. Get an alphabetized notebook and take notes specific to each store, insurance tricks, etc.
  10. Make sure you have the cell phone number of 3 other pharmacists that you can reach out to when you need help.
  11. CVS is not permanent. Start looking and keep looking.
That's all I can think of for now.

Reactions: 4 users
Here are some tips I hope you find useful:

1. Your #1 priority is to verify confidently and accurately. Be sure that when you staple that bag you can let it go for good.
  2. Always sport a smile and take care of whoever is in front of you. People in front of you are first.
  3. Give realistic wait times. You can't tell everyone it will be 15 minutes if you have 20 drop offs at drive through. Let patients know where they really are in your queue. Too often people come up to the drive-thru thinking you've been sitting there all day waiting for them to stop by. Tell them "I have 5 people waiting ahead of you. This will realistically be ready tomorrow after 12 pm (or whatever is reasonable). (That's the best I can do for you.)" Smile and most people will understand that really, it is not within your control. At some point you have to stop taking waiters. A lot of people will just say "that's fine. I'll just stop by on my way to work tomorrow morning"
  4. The drive-thru sign stating "drive thru will be closed due to inadequate staffing". No offense to zelman as I have gotten sound advice from him in the past. However, I do not know that I would have done that as a new grad. When I worked the overnight shift I did put up a sign letting people know I had gone to the restroom and that I would be back in X minutes. All that being said... it is nearly impossible to get fired from CVS and if you ever are, no one will care.
  5. Keep snacks with you. And feed your technicians. They will be much more willing to go the extra mile for you.
  6. Keep it lighthearted. Do not take it personally. Hit the reset button every time someone gets snippy or out of hand.
  7. Do your best but do not arrive more than 15 minutes early and do not stay more than 15 minutes past the end of your shift. Those 2 are professional courtesies. Believe me, you will not get fired.
  8. Try your best to remain a float pharmacist for as long as you can.
  9. Get an alphabetized notebook and take notes specific to each store, insurance tricks, etc.
  10. Make sure you have the cell phone number of 3 other pharmacists that you can reach out to when you need help.
  11. CVS is not permanent. Start looking and keep looking.
That's all I can think of for now.
The drive thru sign is extreme, but necessary in this situation. If you have slow drive thru service and people call corporate to complain, you will be told to work more efficiently. If they call and complain the drive thru is closed, you just cite the dangers of divided attention in an understaffed situation and reference the WRITTEN communication you started with. You either get more staff or a Sup who can't argue with you.

Just lie to the customers and tell them you are out of stock until tomorrow to give you extra time to fill their scripts. I survived my first week at cvs lying that we were out of stock on everything whenever I was alone or working with an inexperienced tech. Also delete all the readyfill PRN scripts out of the queue if you don't have time for them (creams, inhalers, allergy, flonase,sliding scale insulin, etc). If you delete a refill it just goes back in the system and will pop in again in a few days.

Also cvs is not the highest paying. The hourly rate was lower than grocery store and base pay for floaters was 30 hours a week instead of 35-40. The only way it was the highest paying is if you are at the beck and call of the supervisor and scheduler to pick up last minute shifts.

Last edited:
From everything I've ever read and everyone I've ever talked to complaining to the DM or even voicing your concerns is one of the worst things you can do.

If/when they ask: Things are improving, you are becoming more comfortable, and following CVS workflow has been improving your efficiency
When they criticize something you have done or question a metric: Agree this this is a point of emphasis and ask for their opinion on how you can improve in this area moving forward

Keep a positive and constructive attitude with your DM even if they are an idiot. Being perceived as whiney/struggling/inefficient is probably worse than having bad metrics. The DM wants to see potential for improvement. If you complain or have what is perceived as a negative attitude they will dismiss you as a lost cause and things will continue to go downhill.

Putting a sign on the drive-thru will get you 100% fired if a customer complains or the DM finds out. Telling customers that you are out of stock could work; I'd put these in a pile and fill them right before you close. I'd tell people at drive thru "Would you like to pick it up today or tomorrow? When they say today, which they will 99% of the time, "Okay, is later this evening okay?When they say that I'd like to get it sooner. "Okay, we will have it done within 2 hours. It may be sooner but we are really busy right now, but it will be no longer than 2 hours. You will get an automated call when it is ready". If they really flip out and insist on waiting just tell them to wait in the store and you will page them as soon as it's finished.

You could also get their cell phone number and tell them that you will text them when it's ready and not even give them a wait time.

Last edited:
Not in my district it won't.

@idiot

Like @zelman said, that won't get you fired in his district NOR ANY DISTRICT. Getting fired from CVS is really hard. And that long waltz you just described.... it's not necessary. You just tell people when you can have it ready by. That either works for them or it doesn't. They may think you're a lost cause but really, what that means is that they know they can't push you around and the punishment - floating forever- is really the only way to be at CVS for a long time without losing your sanity.

OP, @propranolol20, you need to float and remain a float for as long as you can. In the mean time, keep looking. CVS is not long term. There are many people in this forum who have been with CVS for a long time and I have plenty of respect for them for that reason. There is no shame if it just isn't for you. There are places where you can have a lunch break and eat in peace for 30 minutes. Do not settle.

Lol you sure you both work for CVS? Gonna have to disagree with you there 6GodPharm. CVS and "cake" should never be used in the same sentence. If you think you've got it gamed, they'll find a way to screw you over. Just wait.

OP, sorry if my screen name triggers any post-traumatic episodes. I really do feel for you and I've been there. I got out and you can too.

Forget "lane one". How about "Lane two"? There is never enough staff to even justify having lane one. I'm just glad I got out.

I've been in some terrible situations and I used to let it bother me but I honestly don't care anymore.

Because when that clock strikes the end of my shift, I'm out. The DMs mother could be rushing to my counter to have a script filled but it's not going to happen.

I could care less if there are 100 labels left to be filled. That is the employers fault for not staffing and training correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OP, the supervisor for this district set you up to fail but doesn't care.

On the one hand, if you fall behind, it is that much harder (and you have experienced this) because you will be dealing with constant interruptions from pissed off customers.

On the other hand, if you walked into a mess (started behind), that reflects call-outs and/or poor management (poor work ethic, possibly no RXM because CVS is known just to keep stores running without even bothering to assign a PIC for months, even years). As a floater you can't be expected to clean this up by yourself

The drive thru sign is extreme, but necessary in this situation. If you have slow drive thru service and people call corporate to complain, you will be told to work more efficiently. If they call and complain the drive thru is closed, you just cite the dangers of divided attention in an understaffed situation and reference the WRITTEN communication you started with. You either get more staff or a Sup who can't argue with you.

Of course, I get where you're coming from. Funny thing is I'd hesitate with doing that but I had no reservations about telling my PIC he/she was an inept, entitled, daft jerk. I guess it just takes a while to realize that there are very few things you can do that will get you fired. But yeah, you are absolutely right.

Of course, I get where you're coming from. Funny thing is I'd hesitate with doing that but I had no reservations about telling my PIC he/she was an inept, entitled, daft jerk. I guess it just takes a while to realize that there are very few things you can do that will get you fired. But yeah, you are absolutely right.
Just curious, even if you won't get fired easily from cvs, but won't this result in a bad reference to you when you apply to other job? (like if the new company would contact your previous/current employer for reference). Wouldn't the PIC say bad things to you?

From everything I've ever read and everyone I've ever talked to complaining to the DM or even voicing your concerns is one of the worst things you can do.

If/when they ask: Things are improving, you are becoming more comfortable, and following CVS workflow has been improving your efficiency
When they criticize something you have done or question a metric: Agree this this is a point of emphasis and ask for their opinion on how you can improve in this area moving forward

Keep a positive and constructive attitude with your DM even if they are an idiot. Being perceived as whiney/struggling/inefficient is probably worse than having bad metrics. The DM wants to see potential for improvement. If you complain or have what is perceived as a negative attitude they will dismiss you as a lost cause and things will continue to go downhill.

Putting a sign on the drive-thru will get you 100% fired if a customer complains or the DM finds out. Telling customers that you are out of stock could work; I'd put these in a pile and fill them right before you close. I'd tell people at drive thru "Would you like to pick it up today or tomorrow? When they say today, which they will 99% of the time, "Okay, is later this evening okay?When they say that I'd like to get it sooner. "Okay, we will have it done within 2 hours. It may be sooner but we are really busy right now, but it will be no longer than 2 hours. You will get an automated call when it is ready". If they really flip out and insist on waiting just tell them to wait in the store and you will page them as soon as it's finished.

You could also get their cell phone number and tell them that you will text them when it's ready and not even give them a wait time.
I have my own store and I have full control of the schedule to schedule techs at rush hour times. I make sure I have enough techs at rush hour to have someone at drop off/drive thru and front register. I take over Qt/Qp/Qv and some phone calls so they can get people the hell out.
I pick up shifts at other stores because OT in Cali is a beautiful thing. Problem with other stores is Pharmacist have no control of the schedule. They leave it to a tech that works in the morning that can give two ****s about the evening. Better yet I went to a store where the front store manager does the schedule lol. If you're a floater you have no control it sucks, but if you're at a home store do yourself a favor and learn about the schedule. Makes your life a lot easier.

CVS is bad but this is just an over-exaggeration.

Don't be too sure... I've walked into a store with 35 pages in the que 10 of them red
Thats because those stores let a egg head take 3 hours to do RTS, drop off person rather check FB or IG rather then type. I've helped at a store where drop off person is on hold with insurance and literally staring at the ceiling. Toggle the damn page and type while you're on hold. I don't say anything when i'm helping other stores out but I can see how they can turn like this in a hurry.

Don't be too sure... I've walked into a store with 35 pages in the que 10 of them red

I've seen that. I've been 80 pages in the queue before.

But 20 cars in drive through? 50 people at pick up AND drop off? I think people would just leave if there's more than 10 people in line and then just complain.

I've seen that. I've been 80 pages in the queue before.

But 20 cars in drive through? 50 people at pick up AND drop off? I think people would just leave if there's more than 10 people in line and then just complain.

lol did you not see where I said "vacation spot", we are the only pharmacy over the bridge!!! People can't leave and go anywhere else unless they want to drive 30 mins!!!....Why would I exaggerate....i didn't answer the phone for 4 hours and obviously nothing was getting typed, filled, or verified because we are supposed to take care of the customers in front of us right!??? So i ended up filling and verifying as they came to the counter. Everyone "forgot their meds home and just need 2 pills until they go home" Most of them don't even use CVS!!"why can't you just give me 2 pills!!??""" so aside from dealing with the locals who by now should know to just get mail order in the summer i have to write up emergency supplies, called on stacks of transfers, oh and take doctors who come in bc they are on vacation and want to write 10 scripts out for their whole family. I'm not even going to mention the parents who brought their child in having an asthma attach trying to get a refill on their proair, in which there were none.....even if i called 911 he would have died so hey just gave them a proair, maybe ill get fired who knows. But to throw me in something like that is out of control. I filled 405 prescriptions that day (left all the 900pms red in the queue) on top of all that ****. i would not wish that day on my worst enemy.

nj

Just lie to the customers and tell them you are out of stock until tomorrow to give you extra time to fill their scripts. I survived my first week at cvs lying that we were out of stock on everything whenever I was alone or working with an inexperienced tech. Also delete all the readyfill PRN scripts out of the queue if you don't have time for them (creams, inhalers, allergy, flonase,sliding scale insulin, etc). If you delete a refill it just goes back in the system and will pop in again in a few days.

Also cvs is not the highest paying. The hourly rate was lower than grocery store and base pay for floaters was 30 hours a week instead of 35-40. The only way it was the highest paying is if you are at the beck and call of the supervisor and scheduler to pick up last minute shifts.

deleting the ready fill i would love that,,,,is there any way for them to track that tho???

deleting the ready fill i would love that,,,,is there any way for them to track that tho???
I don't think there is a way to track them but you will get a lot of "why the hell isn't my med ready, I want the manager now!" Or "This is the 5th time this has happened and my meds are on readyfill, I want corporates number now".

I will post a pic of the craziest que you have ever seen. No, there was no hurricane, or tornado, or storm to cause this. This was all poor management and CVS's bull****. I will find the picture tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
I will post a pic of the craziest que you have ever seen. No, there was no hurricane, or tornado, or storm to cause this. This was all poor management and CVS's bull****. I will find the picture tomorrow.
Fun! I have my personal worst around here somewhere...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Is it crazier than this? That's like 1000+ just sitting in the queue. No amount of damage control can fix this..lol

14679-2.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
I don't think there is a way to track them but you will get a lot of "why the hell isn't my med ready, I want the manager now!" Or "This is the 5th time this has happened and my meds are on readyfill, I want corporates number now".
If you work at Wag tell them to call 800-Shop-CVS, if you work at CVS tell them to call 800-Walgreens. Most people have no idea which store they are in.

Reactions: 8 users
The staff at cvs is adamant about signing people up for readyfill. Many people get signed up without their consent or understanding. I had more complaints of "why am I getting a phone call telling me a prescription is ready when I didn't order anything" than "why wasn't this automatically refilled and not ready".
If I had time, I would unenroll scripts off readyfill if they showed up on the 14 day return to stock list. I think the system automatically unenrolls readyfill scripts if they show up on the 14 day return to stock list too often.

Honestly this will hurt you in the long run. You can have a script drop into readyfill and have all day to fill it. If it's out of stock it's no big deal because the patient probably isn't expecting it that day anyways.

Or you can have a patient pull up to the drive thru to pick up their medication and nothing is ready. After the tech wastes a few minutes looking through their profile and asking questions they finally figure out the scripts that need filled. They patient wants to wait on them. You now have two waiters, 3 more cars lined up at the drive thru, and the customer is probably not thrilled.

Or you have to waste time answering a phone call because they realize that they aren't filled and want them called in. Not only do you add an extra phone call but they will likely want to pick them up within a few hours.

At the end up they day you are going to fill the same number of scripts whether or not they are on readyfill, it's just that when they aren't on readyfill you end up interacting with the customer a greater number of times and end up with a shorter time frame to fill the scripts.

I agree that having 10 pages of readyfill isn't fun but would you rather have to answer 150 extra phone calls and/or have these people drop the bottles off in the store as waiters?