Help! Stony Brook vs Drexel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goldenhair

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please give me some advice. I know I am very lucky to be in this position to choose between these two schools (I really liked both). I just got off the waitlist at Stony Brook today, and need to make the decision asap. :confused:

I am a New York State resident, so tuition is obviously two times less at Stony Brook. On the other hand, I really liked Drexel at the time of my visit, their curriculum options are great, and the students' quality of life at Drexel is amazing: seems like both their PIL and IFM programs are so good that they don't have to sweat too much studying day and night but still can do well. (Since their lectures are all videotaped they can even go for a week of vacation on their own in the middle of the studying). Do you know about the quality of life at Stony Brook and the efficiency of their curriculum? I know this shouldn't be the main reason, but I do want some flexibility in the way I study.
Also at Drexel, I really liked the environment and the facilities. Well, haven't been to the hospital though. So as for the gut reaction: on my interview, I liked SB, but I think I had "stronger feelings" for Drexel. I know that for many students the location of Stony Brook being "nowhere" is a minus, not for me, I actually would rather live in a quiet area, but again, Drexel seemed to be in a quiet area as well. And yes, SB ranks higher in the official rankings than Drexel. Do you know how important for the future career is a school's ranking (I am not going into Orthopedic surgery or anything like this).
Thank you for your support guys. I have to make the decision soon, so any input is greatly appreciated. Also if you know some general tips how to choose please share them with us SDNers.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! My vote is for Stony!

i would say dont be stupid and regret it later.. go to stony..

the tuition seems to speak for itself.

oh the things i would give to be in your position.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with the money unless I hated SB. Drexel doesn't seem like it's worth twice the money. Maybe you should visit SB again?

Thank you for the responses!:)

Zolar, Muncher, I got your votes, but why do you think SB is better?
Muncher, I think I saw somewhere on the forum that you are going to SB, are you?

Well I've never been to Drexel, but I go to SB for undergrad. Like you said, it's a nice little area, if not a bit boring. However, you'll be busy studying no matter where you go so the lack of an exciting night life probably won't be factored into your decision. When I'm applying, SB will definitely be on the top of my list, personally.

Well, I am not actually into bar/clubs any more, so this is not a problem at all for me. I am a little worried that it's on the island, has anyone ever feel kind of trapped there (pretty much there's only one highway to go anywhere, with lots of traffic I guess)?

even if they were the same price i think most people would recommend you to go to stony, unless you have a really good reason for wanting to go to drexel and the money difference is worth that reason, there is no reason then for u not to go to sb

Is there any reason someone would choose Drexel over Stony Brook (esp as an NY resident)? I can't think of any. Even if the credentials of your school aren't that important for the specialties you're thinking of doing, you might change your mind in med school. Always choose the school with the better reputation unless you have solid reasons not to.

Stony Brook >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Drexel

i am personally having to decide between AECOM vs. stony brook.
i have already turned down BU for stony brook. now have a chance again to decide and will probably be turning down AECOM for stony brook. hope to see you in the fall - drop me a message if you are still undecided - i have been doing a lot of research on the school.

hey kfire! you know who. i'll come by downstate to party - i have a LOT of friends who will be downstate c/o 2011

-green

Well, I am not actually into bar/clubs any more, so this is not a problem at all for me. I am a little worried that it's on the island, has anyone ever feel kind of trapped there (pretty much there's only one highway to go anywhere, with lots of traffic I guess)?

:laugh: SB isn't a rural area; there are far more than one main highway (unfortunately, they all have lots of traffic!)

The island does get boring, but not after 4 years; more like ~21 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Stony Brook...so that a Drexel spot opens up for someone like me :D

jk

do whatever makes you happy for the next 4 years

:laugh: SB isn't a rural area; there are far more than one main highway (unfortunately, they all have lots of traffic!)

The island does get boring, but not after 4 years; more like ~21 years.

i would guess that's how long you have lived there - 21 years, right?

It seems a lot of your sway toward drexel was the fact that the lectures are put online and that gives you more schedule flexibility and perhaps the ability to take a vacation in med school. I will be going to drexel and think that I'll have a great time there. However, picture the marvelous vacation you can take after med school/residency when you've saved an accumulated $84,000 +++ in med school tuition.

Dr. Parrish and I talked about this very scenario during our interview (oddly enough, his example was of someone choosing between stony brook and drexel) and his candid advice was that you choose your state medical school. The savings are just too good to neglect. Eighty thousand dollars is a huge amount of debt, regardless of how much your projected income is.

Now, if you thought you would spend 3-4 miserable years at sb, maybe it would be a different story. But that not being the case, you should go to sb.

My vote is with Stony Brook.

I'm not sure if you need a car at drexel or not, but most people tell me that you def. need one at SB. The cost of owning even a cheap car over 4 years is probably close to $40k.

Unless you're really rich, I say you go to SB. :luck:

I'm not sure if you need a car at drexel or not, but most people tell me that you def. need one at SB. The cost of owning even a cheap car over 4 years is probably close to $40k.

Most people seem to believe you need a car at drexel at least your last two years at drexel and that its nice to have it your first two years. (Although, being in philly, there's always the risk of it being stolen).

If the OP doesn't already have a car, you have a good point. However, you could always buy a used camry for 7-8 K.

Thanks for your replies! :)
I do have a car (which is an old little thing and needs constant attention and "treatment," so I need to buy a new one). I think after having had a car it's just impossible to switch to not having a car, so anywhere I live I think I am going to have a car (need a new one badly!!!) ;)
I just found out that the cost of living in LI is pretty high. How would you compare the cost of living in LI versus Philly? I will need a one bedroom apartment and to be close to train (bf will most likely commute to work).
Do you know if salaries in Philly are much lower compared to those in NYC?

Thanks for your replies! :)
I do have a car (which is an old little thing and needs constant attention and "treatment," so I need to buy a new one). I think after having had a car it's just impossible to switch to not having a car, so anywhere I live I think I am going to have a car (need a new one badly!!!) ;)
I just found out that the cost of living in LI is pretty high. How would you compare the cost of living in LI versus Philly? I will need a one bedroom apartment and to be close to train (bf will most likely commute to work).
Do you know if salaries in Philly are much lower compared to those in NYC?
Commuting from SB to NYC? That's one long commute.

Commuting from SB to NYC? That's one long commute.

We can live kind of in the middle, e.g. Huntington, so it can take him an hour by train to his job and myself about 40 min by car to SB, or we can work around something like this.

I just looked at property costs in LI versus Philly, and looks like Philly is cheaper if it's not in the center of the city. Just thinking about the future, prices for houses in LI :scared: are insane. Does anyone know how they actually compare?

Well I've never been to Drexel, but I go to SB for undergrad. Like you said, it's a nice little area, if not a bit boring. However, you'll be busy studying no matter where you go so the lack of an exciting night life probably won't be factored into your decision. When I'm applying, SB will definitely be on the top of my list, personally.
ya same here. Stony is a nice quiet place but not TOO quiet...it's typical upper-middle class suburbia (Which is good for the hospital, you won't have to worry about crazy gun shot wound victims at 4AM...unless you like that). If you ever want to spend a night out...shell out 50-70 bucks and go to the city (20 for the trains, 30-50 for fun)...a lot of people who go here hate it because they're used to the urban life and SBU is just chill, not sure how med students feel but the hospital itself isn't bad and I know some of the faculty that teaches there...top notch.