Help! TCU Burnett vs SLU

Started by s3hmd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

s3hmd

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would greatly appreciate some help with my decision between TCU Anne Burnett and Saint Louis University SOM! I've narrowed it down to these two but would love some more perspective. For reference, I am graduating this semester from a small school in St. Louis and have been here for the past 4 years. Originally from SoCal and wanting to match back in SoCal. Undecided on specialty but interested in pediatrics, OBGYN, PMR so want to be able to explore those and have support. Former collegiate athlete, middle-of-the-road student (not a gunner at all) so I'm not very concerned with "prestige" but do understand the benefits it can give.

Base price for both is very similar when COL for STL is factored in
*** match list for TCU is very impressive despite it being new- if anyone would like to check it out: Match Map | Burnett School of Medicine at TCU | Fort Worth, Texas
I would argue it is quite a similar list to SLU's when looking at the CA programs.

TCU
Pros:
- brand new campus, insanely nice facilities
- fun traditional undergrad campus with big college sports
- wealthy donors have made donations towards student tuition every year
- Ft. Worth/Tarrant County is a hub for OBGYN due to its poor maternal/fetal outcomes --> opportunities in that specialty/research
- Mandatory research project
- longitudinal clerkship model
- True P/F all 4 years

Neutral:
- small class size, lots of individual coaching
- new place!

Cons:
- New, less established program
- Will have to drive farther for rotations
- Maybe less connections due to name not being as well known?
- Mandatory lectures

SLU
Pros:
- Familiar with Saint Louis area already, have friends here etc(could also be a con bc i may get tired of it lol)
- Home hospital (level 1 trauma), home women's clinic 10 min away, brand new children's hospital opening in 2027 right by campus
- Established, well-known name even in CA because of how many OOS students attend
- Opportunities for research with WashU (i already have connections there)
- P/F preclinical, non mandatory lectures

Neutral;
- Has AOA, clerkships are tiered grading
- Large class size may mean less direct mentorship

Cons:
- Less prestige locally than WashU for example
- Cold winters
- Flights to CA are more expensive
- Research in general is more on the student to go find


I would appreciate any insight!! Thank you all so much in advance. I am also grateful to hold acceptances from Kansas, Creighton PHX, and SUNY Downstate. But from at least my initial research and gut feelings, I'm down to TCU and SLU unless anyone has any outstanding things to say about the others!
 
Last edited:
Why did Creighton Phoenix rank below these 2 for you?
Honestly, I did like Creighton, but what put it below was that I loved TCU's campus and opportunities way more. Both are new programs (although creighton flagship in omaha isn't), and I liked how TCU was surrounded by so many hospitals right next to campus whereas Creighton wasn't. And TCU's research connections and emphasis seemed better (at least from what I gathered from second look). Another minor factor was that I'm big into college sports and creighton's teams and all that are obviously in Omaha. Looking at Creighton PHX match list they definitely did have a ton of CA matches but then again its sort of confounded by the fact that such a huge percentage of their students are from CA (compared to slu and tcu).

Thoughts?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, I did like Creighton, but what put it below was that I loved TCU's campus and opportunities way more. Both are new programs (although creighton flagship in omaha isn't), and I liked how TCU was surrounded by so many hospitals right next to campus whereas Creighton wasn't. And TCU's research connections and emphasis seemed better (at least from what I gathered from second look). Another minor factor was that I'm big into college sports and creighton's teams and all that are obviously in Omaha. Looking at Creighton PHX match list they definitely did have a ton of CA matches but then again its sort of confounded by the fact that such a huge percentage of their students are from CA (compared to slu and tcu).

Thoughts?
You seem to like TCU more.
Can you adjust to attending every class? This is non- negotiable at TCU and you will have to accept it.
 
You seem to like TCU more.
Can you adjust to attending every class? This is non- negotiable at TCU and you will have to accept it.
My view on this is if I'm paying all that money, I'm going to class regardless lol! For 1.5 yrs preclinical I can get behind it.

As a physician though do you think it would do any significant harm to my future to pick a less established, newer school?
Don't get me wrong-- I can 100% see myself being happy at both SLU and TCU. With SLU being the more established, familiar option but TCU being new and exciting.