Help -- UCSD vs. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yay4Pharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I know this question has come up a bunch of times... but I was hoping to get some input from current students at both schools, and students who are planning to go to each in the fall. I tooootally thought I was set in my decision on SD, but now I'm just having second thoughts -- haha, maybe it's last minute jitters, I don't know. But I would definitely appreciate anything you guys have to say, and thanks so much! So yes, UCSD or UCSF?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask a more specific question, or maybe tell us more about your future goals in the field of pharmacy, and maybe we can better help you decide on a school.

young skywalker said:
Ask a more specific question, or maybe tell us more about your future goals in the field of pharmacy, and maybe we can better help you decide on a school.

Oy vey, I just typed out this looong response and then this website kicked me out! :(

So basically, my questions are the following:
How do you feel about the class sizes at your school... are you still able to develop relationships w/your professors and seek their help? Are they available?

How are your classmates.. .are they a diverse bunch, friendly, social... please be honest ;)

How do you like the rotation system at your school?

Where do you see UCSF and UCSD in four years?

Will I be "selling myself short" if I go to UCSD?

Thanks sooooo much for your time, and I appreciate any feedback. :) Good luck on your finals!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay4Pharm]Oy vey, I just typed out this looong response and then this website kicked me out! :(

How do you feel about the class sizes at your school... are you still able to develop relationships w/your professors and seek their help? Are they available?

My opinion is that UCSF is the crown jewel of the UC system. Where as in undergrad, they try to weed you out, UCSF is the promise land where finally, they hold your hand, well as much as a public school can really.. You can talk to any faculty member you want, basically anytime. They give us their personal phone numbers, we get invited to eat at their houses. We eat with them during lunchtime, anytime you ever have a question they are there, and even when you don't want them to be there sometimes, they are there. The class size is just right (122) Enough people so that you feel like, wow lots of people to know, and small enough so that is still feels like a family.

How are your classmates.. .are they a diverse bunch, friendly, social... please be honest ;)
Classmates are great. Diversity is key, they stress that immensely at UCSF. In my opinion UCSF never needs to advertise itself academically, but it does push push push for diversity, social economically, ethinically, gender, sex, etc... you name it. Classmates are very diverse, and even international, though of course the majority is still the asian female. You can find all types of people, from the older, married with kids, to the young, lets go clubbing every friday.

Haven't gone on rotations yet, but you can bet UCSF has the best. They have rotation sites in Davis, Orange County, San Jose, San Diego.

Four years... hmmmm hard for me to say. I would say much better development of their Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Health Policy and Management pathways. Also I see UCSF as a leader not only in the academic and research world, but in the ability to influence pharmacy law and policy.

Not sure.

Thanks sooooo much for your time, and I appreciate any feedback. :) Good luck on your finals!

As mentioned above, close relationships between students and professors also occur at UCSD. From my experience at the SOM, professors were very helpful towards their students. One of my professors, who is an ever-so-busy MD, was generous enough to host a couple parties at his house and welcomes his students to visit anytime (well, almost). At one point, he even was nice enough to write one of the grad students a prescription for his bad cold to save him a costly trip to the ER. Until now, I still keep in touch with this professor and will continue to do so throughout my career. From what I hear from other students, many other professors are the same as well - it's widely known that professors here go out of their course in order to help students in every way possible. The class sizes at the Skaggs SPPS are also small, and 60 students/class this year is the largest thus far. Because the pharmacy program is relatively new, it is made clear that the faculty and staff highly welcome student concerns and suggestions regarding the program, etc.

Like UCSF, diversity is evident. UCSD's atmosphere is also very "laid-back" and friendly. Because the pharmacy school uses a P/NP grading system, competition between colleagues is virtually nonexistent, which promotes a comfortable and cooperative learning environment. Also, from what I've heard, the pharmacy and medical students get along quite well and respect each other - especially when taking 2 years of classes together. And, because of great weather 267 days/year (http://www.mensjournal.com/feature/0504/bestPlaces.html), people are generally pleasant in nature.

From what I learned, the rotation system at UCSD strongly involves clinical settings as well. I am not sure if rotations are also held in different cities as they are at UCSF (which I think is really awesome). Perhaps this is currently in consideration and may be available in the future? Only time will tell. Additionally, due to the vast pharmaceutical and biotech industries that surrounds UCSD, clerkships could also be achieved at such places in order to gain further exposure to current, cutting-edge technology exclusive to these companies.

Undoubtedly, both UCSF and UCSD will continue to be highly-acclaimed institutions, and UCSD will be fully accredited by then. At that time, our class should be graduating :D and the future alumni currently enrolled at both schools today will be completing their residencies or will be at the start of their great careers. Both schools also have similar pathways, with the exception of the UCSD pharmacy program's future involvement with their b-school (if you're interested in obtaining Pharm. D/MBA degrees).

Certainly not. Although the pharmacy program is quite young at UCSD, it has all the potential and resources to establish itself as one of the top programs in pharmacy, if not already. UCSD is also backed by high-caliber research and medical programs, and will soon also feature their own b-school. For certain, the pharmacy program will unquestionably continue to attract high-achieving students and remain extremely competitive in future admissions cycles (which will still be around 60 students/year for at least the next 4 years). Perhaps certain aspects of the program will be implemented "UCSF-style," as several of the faculty, including associate deans, are alumni of UCSF. As an added privilege to those at UCSD in the spring of '06, you get to be one of the first to celebrate and enjoy the use of a brand-new building and its built-in facilities.

In short, either school is an excellent choice - it's just all up to your preference. You can also factor in the lifestyle at SF and SD and see what fits you best. In their own ways, each city is truly one of the most beautiful areas in the nation, with SF being a classic place and SD a growing city. In either case, however, beauty definitely comes with a price; in high living expenses, that is.

Without further ado, I wish you the best of luck in your decision! :luck: ;)

How hard is it to get into UCSF if your from out-of state? I'm an asian male so would that increase my chances b/c someone said that diversity is key. I mean, I know that you should have a good gpa rec. letters and such but do they try to accept kids from Ca? Thanks.