help understand which test for which situation (stat, anova, chi etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peter90036

not out fishing
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i cant understand + remember what test to pick for what situation
anova, chisquare, matched pairs, t tests, etc

do you have an outline with examples that helps understand all this?

Members don't see this ad.

t-test: compares 2 means
ANOVA: compares 3 or more means
Chi Square: compares percentages/proportions rather than actual means

Members don't see this ad :)
t-test: compares 2 means
ANOVA: compares 3 or more means
Chi Square: compares percentages/proportions rather than actual means

the important logical step in differentiating chi-square from the other two is that chi-square deals with qualitative variables (ie disease or no disease) while the other 2 deal with quantitative variables (ie mean BMI).

the important logical step in differentiating chi-square from the other two is that chi-square deals with qualitative variables (ie disease or no disease) while the other 2 deal with quantitative variables (ie mean BMI).

You're correct, but I'm just trying to make it as basic and to the point as possible - which is pretty much how I'm guessing any question on Step 1 referencing either of those 3 items would be. I think "mean" is the opportune word that should set off a red flag in your brain differentiating t-test/anova from chi square.

thanks, this is the stuff i'm looking for :)

You're correct, but I'm just trying to make it as basic and to the point as possible - which is pretty much how I'm guessing any question on Step 1 referencing either of those 3 items would be. I think "mean" is the opportune word that should set off a red flag in your brain differentiating t-test/anova from chi square.

haha...most def.

just trying to add to your wisdom :)