1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

HELP USC QUESTION

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BlackPuma, Aug 28, 2001.

1. can someone please translate this to normal english? I dont understand what they are asking, are they saying the new curriculum is going to have students be more independent or more focused to group learning?

I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE ASKING...please someone elaborate :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    USC's problem based learning method separates their students into groups of six. After the lecture, they have a separate 1-2 hour problem session where these students meet and discuss cases assigned by the professor. Thus, you're meeting in an independent group and they want to know how you would handle this environment as opposed to a huge lecture hall.

Andrew

4. so sorry

i was referring to this question #6

6. The new curriculum, first implemented in 2001, is designed to enhance the understanding and clinical relevance of the basic sciences and to improve student's problem-solving and independent study skills. The curriculum will be based upon the use of cases and will increasingly incorporate small group learning, directed self-study and newer instructional technologies.
    Do you see yourself thriving in this type of educational environment? Please give examples of why you think you would be well suited for this type of curriculum.

5. thanks kuthasta

but I am still a little bit confused..

so after the lecture in the big lecture hall, we are assigned to groups of 6 pple?

:confused:

so this is simply group activity...they are asking me if I can work in a group? so where does the big lecture hall comes into play? isnt that the lecture? so it is a combination of both?

so sorry...

urs truly and extremly stupid

watchamacallit

6. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member

Attending Physician
    Well, think of how you were in your typical Bio lecture. Huge class, you get homework, you do it on your own and work for a grade.

Now, SC's planning on introducing the concepts during your hour lecture with all 160 students. Then, you meet in a small group of six in your MDL (i.e. computer lab). The profs are assigning you cases, and your group needs to come to an independent conclusion to the case.

They are indeed asking if you can work in a small group of highly intelligent minds trying to work together to come to a common conclusion (as is the current trend in medicine). Are you the kind of person that will clam up during such topics, or will you contibute actively?

Andrew

7. yah

I have no problem working in groups...

however, have u ever been stuck in a group, where no one want to do crap, except for two pple, and everyone's grade is based on that? :p

what DO U THINK :D

8. TwoSteveSquared

TwoSteveSquared Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do you really think that in Medical School that there will be free loaders in the group? I sure hope not. But, I guess it's always a posibility.

9. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member

Attending Physician
    Well, when a class is graded pass/fail and the problems you do during the sessions aren't graded, it is indeed a possibility.

Andrew