Help! Want to do research post-MD!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoetMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm at an MD program and will be graduating in 2010. I would like to get into research and was wondering what my options were? I have an M.S. and some research projects/experiences under my belt, including 2 very cool projects starting now as I go into my 4th year. But no published research, and no MD/PhD. My ideal would be to do the ABIM-research track but no one's going to take me without the prerequisite MD/PhD or numerous publications, so how am I supposed to break into this area now? Any suggestions? Should I take time off between getting my MD and starting residency (assuming I could get into a 3-yr PhD program)?

Also- on a related topic- the area i'm most interested in is stem cell use and myocardial regeneration. How do i break into this exciting area of research?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you interested in pure basic science research or clinical research? Any interest in working for industry?

Try to get into a PhD program. I'm sure you can get some solid advice from several different faculty members as well. Get involved in research and publications as early as possible (which means now).

cant you just do a postdoc after residency to break into the field?

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are really serious about it, just try to apply for the research track residencies. You may or may not get into one depending on where it is and etc., but it's not a fundamental problem.

Apply to a research fellowship (i.e. cardiology) then do research during the fellowship is your best bet. Alternatively, you can do your residency in pathology, and get involved in stem cell research. These research oriented fellowships tend to be not very competitive.

I agree with sluox's post. A PhD program will be very unpredictable, both in terms of time to graduation and career prospects. A career in research right now is unpredictable and unstable.

Keep a hand in the MD world by doing a research oriented residency and/or fellowship that has some clinical duties. If you end up becoming serious about continuing research and doing a clinical career, this will be all the preparation you need. In the long run it's all about getting the lab experience and then funding to establish your career, and you can do this with or without PhD. You just need time spent in a lab (years) and the right mentoring. Having the MD, keeping you board certified and practicing makes you much more attractive to institutions when you try to get a job. It also helps you establish good translational niches by having access to patients and/or samples.

sluox and Neuronix are correct. The ABIM pathways are great for what you're asking for, and the worst that can happen is you go through clinical residency and do a research fellowship or a research-oriented fellowship (cards, ICU, etc).

I would never do a separate PhD after MD school (i.e., not part of a residency/fellowship). Taking the time off would be detrimental to my skills, I would lose valuable practice time as an attending, and as a regular PhD student (not as a part of a residency or fellowship), I'd have very little power/ability to affect my success, and I would have to rely on my mentor and committee to help me through (neither of which are completely uinder my control).

For grad abuse, search for some of Neuronix's last posts. He is absolutely correct about what can happen in a PhD program.