Help Wanted: Finalizing Medical School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bismuth135

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I’ve been trying to finalize my med school list (MD/DO). I’ve been researching a lot but am so overwhelmed with the amount of information to wade through. So, I was wondering what other people thought of my list so far. Which schools should I add, remove, etc. I know applying to MD is a bit of a reach, but I’m going to give it a go.

501 MCAT (125/126/124/126) — 3.48 GPA — VA resident — White female — 27 years old

Master's degree in biomedical sciences (3.10 GPA)

~5,100 hours clinical work as endoscopy technician

~700 hours non-clinical work (fun fact: I worked at Hershey chocolate factory over multiple summers)

~1,900 hours research

Multiple leadership roles (undergraduate clubs, TA, academic coach)

~900 hours of shadowing (MD/DO, multiple specialties)

~150 hours of volunteering (emergency department, free clinic, cardiac unit)

Strong LOR from undergraduate professors, multiple physicians (MD/DO), and supervisor

MD List:

|Georgetown University| |Drexel COM| |Tulane| |Quinnipiac| |Michigan State University COM| |Louisiana State University SOM (Shreveport)| |Albany Medical College| |UVA SOM| |WVU| |East TN State UniversityCOM| |Howard University COM| |California Northstate University COM| |Wright State Boonshoft| |Central Michigan| |Louisiana State University SOM (New Orleans)| |Jacobs SOM| |Oregon University SOM| |Wake Forest| |Belmont| |University of TN Health Science Center COM| |GWU| |California Univ. of Sci & Med DAVIS| |University of Maryland SOM|

DO List:

|Edward Via COM| |PCOM| |University of SC| |Michigan State COM| |Des Moines COM| |Western University of Health Sciences| |Western University of Health Sciences| |Mdwestern University| |Chicago COM of Midwestern University| |University of Pikeville Kentucky COM| |Pacific Northwest| || |Touro University| |ICOM| |Burrell COM| |Burrell COM| |PCOM| || |ARCOM| |LMU-DCOM (Harrogate)| |LMU-DCOM (knoxville)| |WVSOOM| |ACOM| |LECOM| |Meritus SOOM| |Campbell University SOOM| || |Kansas Health Science University|
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest these with your stats:
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 4 schools)
CUSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
UIWSOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
BCOM (both schools)
TUNCOM
MERITUS
MD schools are unrealistic with a MCAT of 501 and a GPA of 3.48 though you could try Eastern Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth.
 
I would absolutely apply to Kansas City University. Your stats sound good if you are a mission fit and have some volunteering.