Help! What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PJpony

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what I should do or if I have a chance at medical school and I'm hoping to gain some insight. I'll start with my background:

I began college in 2008 with the intention of going to nursing school; I was accepted to a nursing program which started in the Spring of 2011 - at that time my cumulative gpa was 3.96 and 4.0 for all science courses. During the entire time I was in the nursing program (Spring 2011 to Spring 2012) I was in an abusive relationship in addition to issues going on within my family (my grandmother was in the ICU a few times and my parents divorced). I ended up failing a course my first semester (by less than 1% - I needed to receive at least 73% on the final and I received a 72.something but they do not round even if it was 72.9) and ended up failing that course. I was able to repeat the class the following semester and earned a passing grade. The semester after that I was still dealing with the same stressors with the addition of financial hardship, I ended up failing a second course in a similar fashion and earned a C+ in another. I was unable to return to the program after this.

The following semester I switched my major to Nutrition and eventually graduated in 2014 with a cumulative 3.67 gpa and a constant upward trend in my courses - I made Dean's honor list my final 3 semesters. After this I went on to a Masters of Public Health Program at The University of Southern California which I completed in 2016 with a 3.4 gpa. I also completed some post-bacc courses in science - with an overall gpa of 3.8.
I left my abusive relationship a long time ago, my family has stabilized, I have gotten married to another man and am more financially stable now.

My issue is that when I calculated my gpa with an AMCAS gpa calculator, it is significantly lower because the repeat course isn't replaced - both are counted. My AMCAS gpa is 3.34, BCPM is 3.91

I also received my MCAT score of 505 (126/127/123/129).

I have over 300 hours volunteering in a clinical setting - 200 in the ICU and 100 in Labor and Delivery.
I have close to 60 hours volunteering on the suicide prevention crisis line (plus 60 hours of training).
I have been an intern for the WIC program, worked as an office assistant for the county children's mental health clinic, worked as a program associate for the California Immunization Coalition, and currently work as a Health Educator for the county Public health department in the Emergency Preparedness Program. I also know I will get 5 great letters of recommendation.

While I have started a great career in public health, I have always felt that I was missing that clinical piece that I really loved. I am also very interested in primary care medicine and possibly rural health; I'm also looking into a military career (possibly applying for HPSP)

Should I even consider applying this year or in the future? If so, which schools should I target? (I'm open to MD and DO).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For MD schools: purchase the MSAR and compare your GPA/MCAT to what schools are expecting. I am not sure what the equivalent is for the DO schools. Your cumulative GPA and MCAT are low for most MD schools. Be open to applying broadly, but also look into your state schools. Make sure that your letters come from science and non-science faculty who have taught you. Good luck, it sounds like you’ve been through a lot and done well!