What are my chances? DPT to MD/DO

Started by snickdpt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

snickdpt

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everybody,
I am a non-traditional physical therapist (29) who has been practicing for two years looking to apply to the 2024 MD/DO cycle. I was curious what my chances were given my stats. I am still planning on taking O-chem 1/2 next year and taking the MCAT spring of 2024 but was wondering if it would even be worth it given my current stats. I would like to go the MD route but am more than happy to go DO given my experience as a PT.

Here is a rough estimate of my current stats:
cGPA: 3.44 (still need to take o chem/possibly biochem)
sGPA: 3.2-3.5 (depending on how it's calculated AAMC vs. AACOMAS due to two C's in math freshman year of college)
Graduate GPA (DPT): 3.7
Last 60 hours GPA undergrad: 3.65

ECs:
-4,500 hours practicing as a supervising physical therapist in multiple settings
-1,200 hours working as an ER scribe
-1,000 hours working as an optometrist scribe
-Shadowing: 15 hours endocrinology, 15 hours occupational medicine, 2 hours ortho
-Undergraduate drug delivery research
-Graduate school systematic review (unpublished)
-Planning on getting 3 strong LORs (MD, DO, and PT school professor)

I am just wondering if I have a good shot at a DO school or if it would be a waste of time to try and take O chem while working full time then taking 3 months off to study for the MCAT? Should I try to take more pre-reqs to bump up my GPA or will GPA not hinder me too much because I am a non-traditional?
 
I think you have a very strong shot at DO and maybe even some MD schools. You ECs look incredible. RIght now try to get a good grade for O chem and biochem and kill it on MCAT, But you DEFINITELY have a very strong shot. A lot of places would be lucky to have you.
 
I think you have a very strong shot at DO and maybe even some MD schools. You ECs look incredible. RIght now try to get a good grade for O chem and biochem and kill it on MCAT, But you DEFINITELY have a very strong shot. A lot of places would be lucky to have you.
Thanks for the response! That makes me feel better so would it not be worth it to retake other pre-reqs like gen chem (all B's) to bump the GPA up slightly more?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your stats are pretty much identical to mine - I'm also an allied health professional with a masters degree and 3 years in practice - and I will be starting MD school next year.
 
I'd say you've got a great shot!! I know an allied health professional who got a 506-510 range MCAT and got interviews/acceptances to several US MD programs. Congrats 🙂

With a doctorate, you'd don't have to aim too high on the MCAT. 506-510 is safe and just apply broadly.
 
I'm not an instructive example, I'm sorry! I tried to study on the weekends and do anki cards here and there, but really I did most of my studying when I took a week off work right before the exam. I mainly used the AAMC material, but also sometimes I watched Khan Academy videos for concepts I wasn't previously familiar with. I don't think I did anything special, I am just a strong test taker.
 
Last edited:
I'm not an instructive example, I'm sorry! I tried to study on the weekends and do anki cards here and there, but really I did most of my studying when I took a week off work right before the exam. I mainly used the AAMC material, but also sometimes I watched Khan Academy videos for concepts I wasn't previously familiar with. I don't think I did anything special, I am just a strong test taker.
What was your previous profession