Help! What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omegaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior at a competitive private school. I originally planned to take my MCAT this may and apply this summer. However, I have a heavy course load this semester 2 biology courses (one being biochem.) with recitations and labs, 1 physics with recitation and lab, and an easy humanities course (18 credits total). I did a lot of MCAT studying during winter break and was hoping to study for the MCAT heavily during the spring semester. However, as it turns out physics 2 was unbelievably hard, the homework and exams (heavily math and calculus based) were much much harder than the physics on the MCAT. The professor has a 1.2 rating on ratemyprofessors. Biochem., though not hard at the moment will also get tough. My dad suggests that I give up studying for the MCAT this semester and take it the summer of my senior year (gap year) and make sure I focus all my energy on my current school work. However, I do not want to give up this opportunity of taking the MCAT in May and applying the summer of my junior year. Should I plan to take the MCAT in may and prepare for it along with my time-consuming school work or focus entirely on classes and take the mcat next may and apply next cycle?
For reference my GPA isn't too high: 3.66 and I have only 1 year of research experience and several months of clinical volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

When does school get out?

Could you take the MCAT first week of June?

I am a junior at a competitive private school. I originally planned to take my MCAT this may and apply this summer. However, I have a heavy course load this semester 2 biology courses (one being biochem.) with recitations and labs, 1 physics with recitation and lab, and an easy humanities course (18 credits total). I did a lot of MCAT studying during winter break and was hoping to study for the MCAT heavily during the spring semester. However, as it turns out physics 2 was unbelievably hard, the homework and exams (heavily math and calculus based) were much much harder than the physics on the MCAT. The professor has a 1.2 rating on ratemyprofessors. Biochem., though not hard at the moment will also get tough. My dad suggests that I give up studying for the MCAT this semester and take it the summer of my senior year (gap year) and make sure I focus all my energy on my current school work. However, I do not want to give up this opportunity of taking the MCAT in May and applying the summer of my junior year. Should I plan to take the MCAT in may and prepare for it along with my time-consuming school work or focus entirely on classes and take the mcat next may and apply next cycle?
For reference my GPA isn't too high: 3.66 and I have only 1 year of research experience and several months of clinical volunteering.

ouch...i feel you on this one

postpone the MCAT and apply next cycle. your GPA is golden solid, but your ECs are rather weak at this point.

it makes perfect sense to wait a year.

as hard as this is to accept (and i have to remind myself constantly, too), medicine is a marathon, not a race.

Just wait and study for it when you don't have a lot on you. I wish I had of. I still don't have my score yet though.