Help When Should I Submit My Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noglej

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN world,

So I am a bit confused on when I should submit my primary applications and about the whole verification thing.

So I am taking my MCAT on Friday (shouldn't be on SND lol procrastination at its finest) but I am planning on still applying this cycle. I am scoring about 506 on NS PE and I have a 3.9c and 3.87s GPA. I have 400+ volunteer hours, 100+ research hours and 60+ shadowing hours. I have been told by my academic advisors that I should be okay to apply this cycle. Im not trying to go any place super fancy, looking more toward in state (NC) and a couple DO programs as well as a couple out of state schools with a low median MCAT.

okay so my real question is should I wait until I get my MCAT scores back to submit my applications to any schools? Or should I go ahead and submit my application to Brody SOM (average MCAT 506, average GPA 3.6) and get verified? Will that hurt my chances of getting in there because my MCAT isn't submitted, it is one of my top choices so I don't want to decrease my chances of getting in but I also don't want to wait any longer than I have to for my other primaries in order to get verified.

thank you for helping a confused and stressed girl out

Members don't see this ad.

Conventional wisdom is that you should submit your application to a throwaway school (that you're not incredibly interested in attending). By doing so, you can get your application verified earlier instead of waiting for your scores to release. Afterwards, you can pre-write secondaries for schools.

When you get your MCAT score back, if you like it you can go ahead and apply to the schools on your list (I'd craft a list based on your expected score, and prewrite the secondaries for those schools)

Reactions: 1 user
Is your application fully ready aside from the MCAT? Essays, LORs, etc.?

If so, then yes, apply now. Sooner is better -- but ONLY if your application is 100% ready. Don't shortchange your app for a few days' advantage.

But if not, take your MCAT first (since it's just a few days), then finish polishing your application, then submit.

Reactions: 1 users