PreOptMegs

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
111
0
Status
I am going to be taking the OAT for the first time in October and I am going to take the Kaplan OAT prep course to get me ready, but there is a session from June-July, and another August-September. Is it better to take the one closer to the actual OAT date, or in the summer so I have time to review the material? For those who took the course or plan to take the course, what do you recommend? Please help.
 

al-majhul

UCBSO c/o 2009
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2005
112
0
38
Berkeley
Status
PreOptMegs said:
I am going to be taking the OAT for the first time in October and I am going to take the Kaplan OAT prep course to get me ready, but there is a session from June-July, and another August-September. Is it better to take the one closer to the actual OAT date, or in the summer so I have time to review the material? For those who took the course or plan to take the course, what do you recommend? Please help.
Hey there Megs,

First, you may want to read this post:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=183386&highlight=kaplan

But to really answer your question, it may depend a little on your background. If you're an english major, for example, and never took any of the sciences on the OAT, then you may want to take the earlier class to give yourself more time to learn and review stuff.

I took the class offered in August-September and took the October OAT. I was a psychobiology major however, and that two or so weeks left before the actual exam was probably more than enough time for me to re-review everything after the Kaplan class ended. I should also mention, however, that I was only taking one class at a J.C. at that time, not working, and spending LITERALLY all my free hours at the Kaplan study center for those two weeks just watching videos, taking practice exams, etc. (see the post I mentioned for more on that). All righty, hope that helps. Good luck! ;)
 
K

Kristene9

Here was my experience, if it helps.

I wanted to take the Kaplan course during the summer because I knew I wouldn't have time in the fall. But I also was going on a mission trip 4 weeks before the class ended. I talked to the women in charge of the center and she suggested that I go ahead and take in during the summer and then do more of a "refresher" course in the fall. Other then feeling real nerdy, it worked out good.

I think they have the same policies everywhere, that if you want to retake a course or just come on the nights of the classes that your struggling with, you can. Also if you take it during the summer you have access to all their sources up until the test if you talk to them. Hope this helps. :)
 
OP
P

PreOptMegs

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
111
0
Status
al-majhul said:
Hey there Megs,

First, you may want to read this post:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=183386&highlight=kaplan

But to really answer your question, it may depend a little on your background. If you're an english major, for example, and never took any of the sciences on the OAT, then you may want to take the earlier class to give yourself more time to learn and review stuff.

I took the class offered in August-September and took the October OAT. I was a psychobiology major however, and that two or so weeks left before the actual exam was probably more than enough time for me to re-review everything after the Kaplan class ended. I should also mention, however, that I was only taking one class at a J.C. at that time, not working, and spending LITERALLY all my free hours at the Kaplan study center for those two weeks just watching videos, taking practice exams, etc. (see the post I mentioned for more on that). All righty, hope that helps. Good luck! ;)
Thanks very much for your insight. I appreciate your response.
 
OP
P

PreOptMegs

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
111
0
Status
Kristene9 said:
Here was my experience, if it helps.

I wanted to take the Kaplan course during the summer because I knew I wouldn't have time in the fall. But I also was going on a mission trip 4 weeks before the class ended. I talked to the women in charge of the center and she suggested that I go ahead and take in during the summer and then do more of a "refresher" course in the fall. Other then feeling real nerdy, it worked out good.

I think they have the same policies everywhere, that if you want to retake a course or just come on the nights of the classes that your struggling with, you can. Also if you take it during the summer you have access to all their sources up until the test if you talk to them. Hope this helps. :)
So you were allowed to sort of attend both classes? Is it usually like that, or were you just an exception because you were going to miss 4 weeks? Thanks
 

kgrabar

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
50
0
Chicago
Status
PreOptMegs said:
So you were allowed to sort of attend both classes? Is it usually like that, or were you just an exception because you were going to miss 4 weeks? Thanks
Kaplan has the "Higher Score Guarantee" where if you do not feel prepared enough to take the test at the end of the summer session (or simply you want the resources up until the fall OAT), you can keep using their resources for free for another 3 months. Provided that you complete all the online "homework," take the 3 exams, and attend all classes or make up the ones you miss on video. I agree you should take the summer course to get started, and use the guarantee in the fall to continue your preparation. That's what I did for the Oct OAT. You might as well use their resources for as long as possible considering the cost! Its a good investment. Good luck!
 

Badger150

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
45
0
Madison
Status
PreOptMegs said:
So you were allowed to sort of attend both classes? Is it usually like that, or were you just an exception because you were going to miss 4 weeks? Thanks
I worked for Kaplan for a while and yes you are allowed to attend multiple sessions. At least that's what the policy at our center was, and I'm pretty sure that's the way it is everywhere.

If you want the score guarantee you have to make sure to check in for every session though, especially if you are not in your normal session.
 

obscuss12

New Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2005
1
0
Status
PreOptMegs said:
I am going to be taking the OAT for the first time in October and I am going to take the Kaplan OAT prep course to get me ready, but there is a session from June-July, and another August-September. Is it better to take the one closer to the actual OAT date, or in the summer so I have time to review the material? For those who took the course or plan to take the course, what do you recommend? Please help.
You'll definitely have time to study for OAT. It's not so bad. My roomate and I just crammed 7 days in advanced =) We did fine and got into all the schools! We took the summer Kaplan course, but our teacher flaked out on us alot and we didn't really learn much. The main thing is to do the kaplan exams two weeks ahead of time, but the actual exam is lot easier and if i remember right, the physics part is also exactly like the sample exam! okay if you have anymore quesiton, email me , i'll be happy to help you