Help! Where to apply with Low Stats!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuliusPepperwood16

Reaction score
Hello, I am a first-generation student and am absolutely lost in this whole application cycle. I get to list 20 schools for free with the FAP but I want to make sure I don't waste a spot on a school that 100% will not let me in. I know I am not the greatest applicant with my stats and no medical school is easy to get into but I just want to know where I have my best chance.

Stats:
- GPA: 3.45
- MCAT: 509 (practice test, MCAT got canceled several times secondary to COVID)
- Black Female
- MN Resident
- Disadvantage status
- extracurriculars are good, I think (thousands of hours of clinical experience from scribing, 60 hours of shadowing, VP of a student org. lots of non-clinical and clinical volunteering, etc.)
- 5 great letters of rec.
- Personal statement spark notes: how my dad's death made me want to become a doctor

I would really appreciate any help I can get thank you!! I haven't really looked at DO because I just do not know much about them but I am open to that as well!

Here is my current list with some obvious reach schools (lol all med schools are reach schools for me)

- University of Minnesota
- Albany Medical College
- Boston University (lol)
- Californa Northstate University
- California University of Science and Medicine
- Creighton University
- Howard University
- LSU
- Loyola University- Chicago
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- Morehouse School of Medicine
- New York Medical College
- Pennsylvania State University
- Rush Medical College
- Tulane University (lol)
- University of Colorado School of Medicine
- University of Kansas
- University of North Dakota
- Wright State University

Members don't see this ad.

I note a lack of DO schools on your list. That will be a problem for your application. Try to add 5-10 to increase your chances of a successful application cycle. I believe AACOMAS has similar financial aid for applications, though I am not positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I note a lack of DO schools on your list. That will be a problem for your application. Try to add 5-10 to increase your chances of a successful application cycle. I believe AACOMAS has similar financial aid for applications, though I am not positive.
Any DO schools in particular? I am not very familiar with them and from what I understand they don't have a tool like MSAR to help me navigate?
Thank you for the Reply!

We really can’t help you until you have a real MCAT score. When are you planning to take it? There is something about California Northstate and student loans that makes many of the ADCOMS on here not rec. it. Do you have access to the MSAR? If not buy it and use it. You have a lot of out of state public schools on your list. Not all out of state public schools are friendly to OOS applicants. It would be silly to apply to those that accept few or none with your stats from OOS. Come back when you get your score and people will be happy to help you. In the mean time research DO schools. Good luck on your test.m

We really can’t help you until you have a real MCAT score. When are you planning to take it? There is something about California Northstate and student loans that makes many of the ADCOMS on here not rec. it. Do you have access to the MSAR? If not buy it and use it. You have a lot of out of state public schools on your list. Not all out of state public schools are friendly to OOS applicants. It would be silly to apply to those that accept few or none with your stats from OOS. Come back when you get your score and people will be happy to help you. In the mean time research DO schools. Good luck on your test.m
Unfortunately, I couldn't take it until July 18th. I was originally supposed to take it April 24th but because of COVID, everything got messed up. I do have MSAR which I have been using to try and steer away from school that do not accept out of states but I thought it would be good to hear from people who have applied/are applying as well! Someone told me I should still submit with my app even without my score because they are making exceptions with this cycle. Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I couldn't take it until July 18th. I was originally supposed to take it April 24th but because of COVID, everything got messed up. I do have MSAR which I have been using to try and steer away from school that do not accept out of states but I thought it would be good to hear from people who have applied/are applying as well! Someone told me I should still submit with my app even without my score because they are making exceptions with this cycle. Thanks for the reply!

What kind of exceptions?

You could submit your primary with one throw away school so you could get verified. But if you don’t have your application ready to submit now, you should probably just focus on the MCAT studying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user