HELP Which letter of recommendation should I use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which recommender?

• Recommender 1

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Recommender 2

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

delightfullyme12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am applying for a research award and I am having a dilemma about which letter of recommendation to use due to a situation where I had to find a new recommender last minute! I already have two recommenders-- one from a PI at a research facility that I've worked with ~2 years and a faculty professor that I've done research with as an undergrad.

Here are my options:

Recommender 1 (Research Coordinator) : Have interned/worked in research lab with them for ~2 years; may have to write the draft letter (which I have the potential to write a strong one) but I already have a letter from her boss (PI)

Recommender 2 (Professor) : Have only worked with her for a short period of time for an independent research project; said they are willing to write a letter but doubting how strong it'll be due to short history

I was thinking of using #2 since I already have the boss of Recommender 1 writing me a letter?

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I know you all are best at school recommendation lists but do you have any thoughts regarding this letter of recommendation dilemma? Thanks in advance! @Faha @Goro @gyngyn

Hi everyone,

I am applying for a research award and I am having a dilemma about which letter of recommendation to use due to a situation where I had to find a new recommender last minute! I already have two recommenders-- one from a PI at a research facility that I've worked with ~2 years and a faculty professor that I've done research with as an undergrad.

Here are my options:

Recommender 1 (Research Coordinator) : Have interned/worked in research lab with them for ~2 years; may have to write the draft letter (which I have the potential to write a strong one) but I already have a letter from her boss (PI)

Recommender 2 (Professor) : Have only worked with her for a short period of time for an independent research project; said they are willing to write a letter but doubting how strong it'll be due to short history

I was thinking of using #2 since I already have the boss of Recommender 1 writing me a letter?

Please help!
I would go with the first LOR, but use your good judgment

Pick the one who knows you better and will write you a stronger letter.

Reactions: 1 user