Help with AMCAS application timing.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiadreaming93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Itook the 3/24 MCAT and bombed it: <500. I'm studying for my retake now and have already increased my FL scores. I'll be prepared to retake 6/30.

My AMCAS primary application is all ready to go, I just have a question about when to submit. Do I submit on 6/1 to one throwaway school to get verified, then indicate that I'm taking the MCAT at a later date? Or do I submit to multiple schools that don't screen for MCAT?

I did a post bacc and have a sGPA of 3.9, so the MCAT is what's holding me back now.

Members don't see this ad.

You submit 1 throwaway school and you wait for MCAT score. Just because a school doesnt screen on MCAT, doesnt mean they cant decide on your first MCAT before second shows up

I am in a similar situation as OP and was going to add a throwaway school too. BUT One of my top choice state schools said to add them asap instead of after receiving my scores in July, since their applicant review queue is based on when AMCAS was submitted to them, not when it's complete. Are there other schools that do this or is it an exception? :confused: This school also pre-screens...

I am in a similar situation as OP and was going to add a throwaway school too. BUT One of my top choice state schools said to add them asap instead of after receiving my scores in July, since their applicant review queue is based on when AMCAS was submitted to them, not when it's complete. Are there other schools that do this or is it an exception? :confused: This school also pre-screens...

That's a risk I don't think I'm willing to take, especially with my state schools that definitely screen. Did you contact this school directly and ask them?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a risk I don't think I'm willing to take, especially with my state schools that definitely screen. Did you contact this school directly and ask them?

I did and that's what they told me. I guess I should confirm again though. I definitely would not like to be screened out!

But they cant screen until they have MCAT so I am unsure how that would help

They said they would screen after they get the second MCAT score, and send me a secondary within the week. I would have this pre-written so when I submit it as soon as I receive the link, I would be marked complete. But since I already submitted AMCAS before, my place in the review queue wouldn't be pushed to the back of the line even though I was complete later. My understanding was I'd still stay in the order of review as AMCAS submission and that they'd still review me first compared to others who were complete earlier. Does that make sense? lol it's confusing

I have not run into that system nor do I see how they manage it as a work flow but if they say so

Yeah it does seem kind of too good to be true, but that's what they told me when I called admissions. I think I will call again in a few weeks though to confirm that I'm not making a mistake by submitting to my top choice instead of a throwaway!