1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Help with Calculus!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by youngnflyy, Nov 17, 2005.

1. youngnflyy

youngnflyy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm going to be taking Calculus next semester and math is my most dreaded subject. I was thinking that over the Xmas break I could find a nice study book and get a jump start on some of the info. Any reccomendations?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    find out what book you are using in the class, get it and read through the first few chapters and try to stay ahead of the material.

4. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We use stewarts early transcendentals for calc 1-3.

I would get a Schaum's Outline for Calc I. They have lots of solved problems.

5. little_late_MD

little_late_MD Ready To Jump
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You don't need a calculus study book. You need a college algebra study book. The actual calculus part of calc I is fairly simple. What trips people up is the algebra.

I recommend(as did a previous poster) Schaum's Outline for College Algebra. Pay special attention to Factorization, as well as finding the real zeros of a polynomial. Depending on your instructor, knowing the graphs of the basic polynomial functions like the back of your hand can also be helpful.

Also, you will need to know basic trig, including:the trigonometric functions and their inverses, the unit circle, the polar coordinate system, law of sines, law of cosines, sum and difference, half-angle, double angle, and the product to sum formulas. You don't have to memorize them, but be familiar with how to use them.

6. Califlower

Califlower Oriented x 1
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Schaums is pretty good. However, if math is your weak point, it is likely that you have a weak background -- so brush up on previous math courses. Study the trig stuff backwards and forwards. If you have a good foundation, calculus shouldn't be too difficult. Good luck!

7. Stroganoff

Stroganoff Never give up.
    Rocket Scientist 10+ Year Member

This is great advice. I'm no calculus god, but once the calculus clicked, the only thing that irked me on exams was forgetting algebra or making silly mistakes when simplifying or whatever.

Review your algebra and trig like no other and work on building speed.

8. Sicilian

Sicilian Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Schaum's 3000 is the best book... used it in high school, & I was 2 semesters ahead of the pack in college (although Calc II, I got a B for some reason). I second other posters: review your algebra & trig: you will need to know factorization, synthetic division, exponential functions, basic trig identities, & a bit of analytic geometry. Geometry helps too!

9. AcousticDoc

AcousticDoc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Change your belief systems. Have faith in your abilities. If you're going into a class thinking you're going to fail you will. You can do it.

10. FizbanZymogen

FizbanZymogen Guitar Hero Champion
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    the truth is the first two calc classes aren't that bad. As was mentioned earlier calc is more concept than math. The most difficult part of calc is simply algebra. If you know algebra and can see what you are solving for than you should do just fine. SIMPLY PUT, REVIEW YOUR ALGEBRA!

11. The Answer

The Answer New Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey, I am taking Calc I right now and I am finding it to be very easy. The concepts in Calc I and II are really quite simple. First you have to ask yourself, why is math your most dreaded subject? My bet is that your weakness lies in algebra. In my class most of the people are weak on algebra and this is what is giving them the most trouble in class. Review your algebra and you should do well.