Help with estimating 1099 taxes, also have W2 income

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedBeta

Why am I in a handbasket?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, long story short, picking up a few locum tenens weeks in 2018 to pay for infertility treatments.

Haven't been able to find an online calculator or a good rule of thumb to determine how much I should set aside for state/federal taxes when I also have sizable W2 income.

Anyone have any insights?

If it would help to have concrete numbers of what my W2 and 1099 incomes will be, let me know

Members don't see this ad.

So, long story short, picking up a few locum tenens weeks in 2018 to pay for infertility treatments.

Haven't been able to find an online calculator or a good rule of thumb to determine how much I should set aside for state/federal taxes when I also have sizable W2 income.

Anyone have any insights?

If it would help to have concrete numbers of what my W2 and 1099 incomes will be, let me know

When I had 1099 income, I set up a spreadsheet in excel to help me calculate. I used the IRS publications to set it up. There are two ways to calculate the amount, so I picked the one that best accounted for varied payments rather than just dividing it up as if my income was stable quarter to quarter.

Remember that you can set up a solo 401k with 1099 money and contribute both as an employee and employer. You are still limited to 18k employee contributions across all of your 401k/403b accounts per year. You can contribute up to 20% of your adjusted income as an employer from your 1099 funds as well. Plus it would give you a place to put your traditional IRA monies to allow for the backdoor Roth.

Reactions: 1 user
When I had 1099 income, I set up a spreadsheet in excel to help me calculate. I used the IRS publications to set it up. There are two ways to calculate the amount, so I picked the one that best accounted for varied payments rather than just dividing it up as if my income was stable quarter to quarter.

Remember that you can set up a solo 401k with 1099 money and contribute both as an employee and employer. You are still limited to 18k employee contributions across all of your 401k/403b accounts per year. You can contribute up to 20% of your adjusted income as an employer from your 1099 funds as well. Plus it would give you a place to put your traditional IRA monies to allow for the backdoor Roth.

Yeah, I know that there's *a lot* I could do, but with such a specific expense on a (hopefully) short timeline, I'd rather maximize my cash flow at the moment. Perhaps not the ideal scenario, but it's where I am at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I know that there's *a lot* I could do, but with such a specific expense on a (hopefully) short timeline, I'd rather maximize my cash flow at the moment. Perhaps not the ideal scenario, but it's where I am at the moment.

How much do you expect to make in 1099 money vs W-2 money? If the 1099 money is significantly less, your tax burden may be fairly small. I would still consider setting up a solo 401k, even if you only put a little in it so you have it going forward.

Like ThoracicGuy posted you probably won't notice it if only a small amount for a short term gig and you have significant w2 income. I usually consider the amount of federal and state based on the percentage of income as well as the full boat on self-employment/FICA which I count at 15.9%.