Help with graduate school questions, please?

Started by lbwhite89
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lbwhite89

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently working on my bachelors degree in Psychology. I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do with it yet, but I know that I definitely want to get a graduate degree. I'm planning on applying to quite a few to increase my chances of getting accepted, seeing how competitive those programs are.

Here are a few graduate programs I'm interested in:
Masters in Professional Counseling
Masters in Marriage and Family Counseling
Masters in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Doctorate degree in School Psychology
Doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology
Masters in Business Administration
Masters in Human Resources

I know that I can get into business school with an undergrad degree in psychology. BUT, can I get into a masters program in Healthcare Administration with that same undergrad degree or would I need an bachelors in something in the healthcare field? I started out as a nursing major and had two semesters of clinical courses, but I don't have a degree in it.

I'm leaning toward a night/weekend program and/or an online program for most of these graduate degrees so I can work and support myself while I finish school. Do employers see those degrees as equal to one completed on campus or would it be a waste of money to do it online?

My dream career course would be to graduate with my BA in psychology with great grades (which I fully intend to do) and go on to get my MBA from a great business school. However, the business school in my area that seems SO perfect requires 5 years of post-undergrad work experience. Is that required in all graduate programs or is it only some that look for that? I'd hate to wait 5 years to go back to school. A BA in Psychology isn't going to get me anywhere special in those 5 years...or so I hear.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! 🙂
 
Another forum might have some participants that have done those degrees. Nobody in this forum, to my recollection, has done advanced work in psych/counseling/etc.