Help with interviewing expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buddhasmash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading some horror stories regarding the cost of clothing and traveling for interviews. I'm a low-income non-traditional student, and I'm only able to do undergrad because of scholarships and loans. I've decided to start planning for these costs ahead of time. Are there any organizations out there that will give grants or loans to med school applicants who can't afford the cost of interview traveling?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been reading some horror stories regarding the cost of clothing and traveling for interviews. I'm a low-income non-traditional student, and I'm only able to do undergrad because of scholarships and loans. I've decided to start planning for these costs ahead of time. Are there any organizations out there that will give grants or loans to med school applicants who can't afford the cost of interview traveling?

There aren't any organizations that I am aware of, however, if you already have loans I think you could increase them to cover costs? Also, clothing isn't as expensive as people make it out to be. You can borrow a suit or buy one second hand for a much more reasonable price. Student hosts will also help to deter costs. Getting a job (through work study, perhaps?) and saving up some money would also help.

I have not heard of such a program. I do know the story of one low income, non-trad student who limited her applications to schools within a few hours drive of her home but she was in Philly which made for a very long list of "local" schools. I interviewed someone a few years ago who made a 7 hour overnight bus trip for an interview as a way of saving money on both airfare and hotel.

I love thrift shops for suits and other interview clothes. (I am an interviewer). You an get something and have it professionally tailored and pressed for far less than you'd pay in a retail shop, even on sale.

Start saving and you'll find some ways to economize.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of all the schools I have interviewed at I have only stayed at a hotel once. As you can imagine I saved a LOT in hotel expenses plus cab fares times 9. :thumbup: for gracious student hosts.

If you find a good cheap place for clothing, you can get everything you need for a reasonable price, and this should be a one time expense.

The biggest expense is air plane fares, but with enough time in advance you can book some cheap flights. I never spent more than $250 for a round trip ticket. Check out southwest if you need to fly. Obviously, if you can drive, then drive.

I was really stupid with one of my early interviews, and ended up spending like $500, but that shouldnt ever be the case. Excluding that time, I would say I averaged about $100/interview (didnt have to fly everywhere).

My $0.02-

1) southwest airlines
2) credit card
3) credit card rewards- put EVERYTHING (all daily expenses, etc.) on a CC. Pay it off monthly. Reap the cash or travel rewards. I have stayed at mariotts for every interview through rewards garnered from a CC.

Good luck from another non-trad who finally made it...you can do it!! :)