Help with LOR :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trisphorin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys*
* *So basically I have been shadowing a neurologist for about 3 days and is contemplating whether I should ask him for a letter of recommendation. I was introduced to him by one of his resident. And it turned out that we went to the same high school even though he graduated 50 years earlier. He shows some sign of dementia. I already have a LOR from an MD and probably will have another one from a MD I am going to work with on clinical research. I am wondering if I should ask this neurologist for an LOR. I am mainly concerned with his dementia problem and whether 3 LOR from MDs is too excessive

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys*
* *So basically I have been shadowing a neurologist for about 3 days and is contemplating whether I should ask him for a letter of recommendation. I was introduced to him by one of his resident. And it turned out that we went to the same high school even though he graduated 50 years earlier. He shows some sign of dementia. I already have a LOR from an MD and probably will have another one from a MD I am going to work with on clinical research. I am wondering if I should ask this neurologist for an LOR. I am mainly concerned with his dementia problem and whether 3 LOR from MDs is too excessive

Thanks!

Honestly, I don't think he knows you well enough to write you a strong LOR after three days. Perhaps if you continue to shadow him and build a better relationship with him, it will become a possibility.. but for now, I wouldn't ask him.

If you think you might be in a position where you won't have enough LORs, in which case you wouldn't be able to apply, then ask. However, I would advise against using him/her for the LOR, it is going to sound very generic I'm sure.

completely useless. don't bother. sounds like its going to be a lame letter anyway.