Help with my Timeline to apply for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kay2018

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need help in planning my studies. I am a third-year undergraduate B.S Psychology student, aspiring to be a DO, and here is some background:

1. Will complete 120 credits to graduate by Fall 2018 with B.S Psychology

2. Sci GPA 2.66 - Individual course GPAs are:

a. Physics I (AACOMS grade B-),

b. Physics II (A-),

c. Gen Chemistry (B),

d. Gen Inorganic Chemistry (BC),

e. Cell & Molecular Biology (C)

f. Organismal & Population Biology (BC)

3. My plan

a. Spring 2019 - Take Orgo 1, and two Biology classes

b. Summer 2019 – Prepare for MCAT

c. Summer 2019 - Take MCAT Oct 2019.

d. Summer 2019 - Apply to Medical schools for 2020. Can I apply this late?

e. Fall 2019 – Take 3 more science classes to boost my Science GPA

f. Spring 2020 – Take 3 more science classes to boost my GPA

I am not sure if this is the right plan. If I get 3.5 and 4.0 in my sconce classes, my overall science GPA will boost to 3.3 to 3.5. But can I submit my Spring 2020 class GPAs towards my 2020 admission cycle? Do I have any chance to get into DO school with this plan, assuming I get a 505 + MCAT scores? Should I aim for 2021 instead?

I truly appreciate advise from this forum to plan my studies. Thank you all in advance.
 
Thank you for the reply. Are suggesting, get my GPA up first, before even I start the Application process? Is this because I can not continue to upload my grades of the classes that I am planning to take through Spring of 2020?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the reply. Are you suggesting, get my GPA up first, before even I start the Application process? Is this because I can not continue to upload my grades of the classes that I am planning to take through Spring of 2020?[/QUOTE]
 
You should apply after all your post bacc courses are completed or at least enough to show significant difference in your science gpa.