SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Help with o-chem!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Auron, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos 2+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I'm struggling in this class and we have a test on wednesday. And my teacher isn't helpful. I need to know NMR and alkene reactions by wednesday, whats the best way to study this??? I just don't get Nmr!:( or reactions. Whats the best way to learn this?? the textbook is just confusing me more. Please help:(, I'm just really freaking out, can't breathe.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. akinf

akinf Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Canada
  4. Vano

Vano 7+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Stop freaking out and be cool, it'll come to you, otherwise you won't get any of it. How do you expect to keep a cool head as a doctor if you freak out over orgo tests?

5. Mus

Mus 7+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Auron - I suggest making notecards of the alkene reactions. Write the reactants and products on the front and write the mechanism on the back. Try to group reactions based on the stereochemistry of the products (which alkene reactions give you syn vs. trans products?), substitution (which reactions give you Markovnikov and which give you anti-Markovnikov), etc. I remember there were a lot of reactions in orgo but if you find a way to group and organize them, it'll make memorizing a lot less cumbersome.

For NMR (is it hydrogen NMR?) - make a list of the different values you would get for different functional groups. Think about the propertiies of the functional group and how it can affect the behavior of the neighboring hydrogens. If you have something like a carbonyl group next to your carbon that has the hydrogens on it, you'll have a greater shift than if you were to just have a methyl group. I would also make notecards for these values. Unfortunately, it's a bit of memorizing, but if you think about why certain hydrogens have greater shifts than others, relating it back to the properties of functional groups, it should be easier to remember.

Hope this helps!