Help with Organic II Final

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monsterbrain

Drinking for sanity.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal with my teacher and his final exam:

-It is worth 200 points out of 600 total for the course
-He will not use any problems (or similar) from our previous tests
-We have never had any homework problems to work from the book
-Final Test problems will come from random problems from the book

I would LOVE :love: to hear any suggestions on how to study for this beast!

Members don't see this ad.

For my organic 2 final I did every problem in the book 5 times. Not kidding, a bit extreme but it worked.

It may sound broad, but do every ACS problem you can find. Those problems are some of the tougher and more thorough you will find. Also, make sure you know what the reagents do (the main ones). And, probably the main part of the test will test your understanding of regiochemistry. So make sure you know the different types of additions and what not (for example, know what enantiomers will be formed and know the different types of addition, such as SYN and ANTI).

Members don't see this ad :)
Urggh! Don't remind me... I'm sooooo sick of ochem right now :mad:

I know... I saw your sig... one word: CRAZY! Just kidding...

Actually, ochem isn't THAT bad... I'm actually really REALLY hating general chem right now. I'm almost embarrassed to say that but it's true. I think I'm doing worse in gen chem than ochem right now! (I never in a million years thought that this would be true!) Damn solubilities and salt problems! I LOATHE YOU!!!

I'm actually anxious to start orgo. Deep down inside I know I am scared.:scared:

Actually, ochem isn't THAT bad... I'm actually really REALLY hating general chem right now. I'm almost embarrassed to say that but it's true. I think I'm doing worse in gen chem than ochem right now! (I never in a million years thought that this would be true!) Damn solubilities and salt problems! I LOATHE YOU!!!

You're not the only one. I did much better in OChem 1and 2 than I did in GCHEM 1 and 2.

I think GCHEM 2 was the hardest class I had to date!:scared:

Besides working as many problems as you can:

-- review important mechanisms of the semester...like Diels-Alder, aromatic sub/add....etc.

-- Though he said its stuff from the book and not previous tests...chances are that the content won't be much different. For example, if you didn't need to know about the physical properties of x-functional group in your previous tests (melting pt, boiling pt etc), I doubt he will throw that in now.

Understanding the concepts tested on the previous exams is probably a good start, along with problems. I wouldn't kill myself trying to do EVERY problem in EVERY chapter and getting burnt out. Just do some from each and make sure you understand the concepts!!

thats all i can think of now

Well, to be honest, general chemistry and organic are two totally different subjects, save a few concepts like acid/base strength. To me, organic seems all qualitative and general chemistry was all quantitavie. And to be even more honest, i can't really remember much from general chemistry because there were soo many little concepts to learn and understand. On the other hand, you can solve any organic chemistry problem just by reasoning and applying a few concepts (like which part of a molecule will act as a nucleophile and which as an electrophile).

When I actually did well in the course, I did every problem in the book.

So by the time the final came, I was pretty much set and all I did was skim my notes and the problems, and I worked through problems from a final he gave the semester before.

It wasn't the same but it gave me a good idea of what to expect.

It may sound broad, but do every ACS problem you can find.

Where can I find these ACS problems? I didn't find any free ones on their website.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I don't find Org all that difficult, it's just that all those compounds/reagents/products/catalysts get all jumbled up in my mind during a test. Gen Chem 2 was one of my favorite classes - ALL MATH :)

At least you didnt have to take the ACS final! that was terrible. I had a solid A going into it, and I didnt want to study since I had been accepted to PharmD so i just blew it of. got a 50% and got a B in the class.

But our school has an ACS study guide on reserve at the library that you can check out to study with.

I don't find Org all that difficult, it's just that all those compounds/reagents/products/catalysts get all jumbled up in my mind during a test. Gen Chem 2 was one of my favorite classes - ALL MATH :)

I totally agree... and yeah, I just plan on doing every question in the book again, hopefully that'll ingrave the crap in my brain for years to come, or at least for the final.

And yeah, that's probably why I hate gen chem 2 so much... I hate math! But it's not even the math really... it's being able to interpret the question correctly that gets me. I think I just need to study more... :rolleyes:

For my organic 2 final I did every problem in the book 5 times. Not kidding, a bit extreme but it worked.

it's also good to just read over the text 5 times
i tried to do it but i found out that it takes a very long time
so allow 2 weeks before the test if you are a slow reader like me
good luck! :)

it's also good to just read over the text 5 times
i tried to do it but i found out that it takes a very long time
so allow 2 weeks before the test if you are a slow reader like me
good luck! :)

That's funny because I tried that trick for my first two exams in the class: got 88 and 67. The third test I just memorized my notes and got a 92. Go figure. Well, it will all be over in two weeks. I only need to get a C, but I would like to get a B.

That's funny because I tried that trick for my first two exams in the class: got 88 and 67. The third test I just memorized my notes and got a 92. Go figure. Well, it will all be over in two weeks. I only need to get a C, but I would like to get a B.

it all depends
just get comfortable with whatever studying strategies that benefit you the most

So here's the deal with my teacher and his

Hmmm. I'd consider that a gift! The professor has really narrowed things down by limiting himself to only book problems. I would just do each problem twice and call myself well prepared. Sorry if I'm overly simplifying your situation, but that's about as straightforward as college exams ever were for me. You're guaranteed to know how to approach every problem on the test if you just put in the time.