biochem with little orgo knowledge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diana2000

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I’m a senior at my university and i took organic chemistry my freshman year and decided to take biochem now. My only problem is that i forgot a lot of the information for organic chem and barely remember how to name structures at the top of my head. I need to pass this biochem class as this is my last class/semester. Is it possible if i reteach myself a lot of the information and just put in all my effort since this is the only major class i’m taking now and still manage a passing grade at least? or have i dug myself a hole too deep to get out of?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand. Why don't you just study the material in biochem?

I don't understand. Why don't you just study the material in biochem?
Oh i do plan on! i really wanna ace this class of course! but my question is if it is possible to do really good with little orgo knowledge? im sorta stuck

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh i do plan on! i really wanna ace this class of course! but my question is if it is possible to do really good with little orgo knowledge? im sorta stuck
I guess it will depend on your professor but my biochem classes required very little working organic knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone
I’m a senior at my university and i took organic chemistry my freshman year and decided to take biochem now. My only problem is that i forgot a lot of the information for organic chem and barely remember how to name structures at the top of my head. I need to pass this biochem class as this is my last class/semester. Is it possible if i reteach myself a lot of the information and just put in all my effort since this is the only major class i’m taking now and still manage a passing grade at least? or have i dug myself a hole too deep to get out of?

I felt like I used very little info derived from orgo in order to succeed in biochem. All I remember from organic chem was arrow pushing-galore while on the other hand biochem was more or less amino acid memorization, learning how to calculate at specific pH levels, and freshening up on identifying hydrophilic and lipophilic environments.

You'll be fine.

I don't think your professor is going to test you on orgo material. You will have to use the side chains of the AA's but it will depend on your professor if they want you to memorize these or just give you a chart to use. Other than that, that is the closest you are going to get to orgo