Help with Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EYEBOY

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I appreciate everyone's comments regarding their opinions of programs. Now that the match is near, I am having a hard time deciding how to rank my top choices. I am considering the following programs: Wills, Wilmer, Duke, Emory. I am looking for a program where I will get solid clinical training and great didactic/academic teaching and mentorship. I have a strong desire to pursue a career in academic ophthalmology and probably will do a fellowship after residency. Here is my rank list so far:

1) Wills -- love Philly, great didactics, fun residents in a supportive environment both among residents and faculty, resident run program, strong clinical training -- although there is that rotation in Arizona to increase surgical volume, get awesome fellowships, opportunities to do good clinical research with outstanding faculty, maybe too many residents??? (10 = largest program), have to buy lenses and indirect ($2,500 in first year pretty steep to shell out), maybe too many lectures??? Any other thoughts???

2) Emory -- liked Atlanta, friendly faculty and residents, very team oriented -- everyone pitches in to make sure that the team gets out of clinic by 6pm, supportive faculty and senior residents, family atmosphere, lots of clinical exposure -- Grady is a great place for pathology, nice facilities, great faculty supervision in clinics, but maybe little less in the didactic area --- seemed a little less academically oriented, although good research opportunites and a dynamic faculty. Residents get good fellowships -- but a lot decide to go into private practice. Any thoughts???

3) Wilmer -- great place overall -- reputation, faculty mentorship and support, research opportunities, good training. Surprisingly had a genuine family atmosphere. But, a little too much sink or swim -- have to run and find faculty members to help -- although faculty seemed very willing to drop everything and come to help out. Busy call, trial by fire. Clinics scattered over Baltimore -- requires some driving here and there during the day. Clinically -- numbers are low, but a great place for future leaders in ophtho. Baltimore -- a dump. Suburbs nice. Any thoughts???

4) Duke -- solid program, faculty dynamic and friendly, great mentorship and good supervision in resident clinics at the VA. Tons of clinical exposure, lots of surgery -- although have to go to VAs in Asheville as a 3rd year for 3months and to the VA at Fayetteville once a week in the 2nd year -- so some traveling. Great didactics, but teaching a little dependent on Chief Resident as seen at Wilmer, as Chief Resident is primarlily the one teaching surigical techniques. Durham not the greatest place, pretty busy program for only 4 residents (5 residents ideal) -- so maybe too much work to go around. Now call is q4 from home due to ACGME rules. Most residents were married or were from the area -- a little bit of inbreeding and tough for single people. Resdients get awesome fellowships, great research opportunities. Any thoughts???

Almost time for the rank lists so any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
EYEBOY

Members don't see this ad.

Without a long explanation, the programs you listed are all Awesome. Now, the number one factor is where you'll be happy most in regards to the location and city.

With the four you ranked and your interests in academics, I'd rank like this:

1) Wilmer
2) Duke
3) Wills
4) Emory

Keep in mind, you could randomize the the top 3 and still do very well in the end.