Help with residency questions?

Started by EHCAT4
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EHCAT4

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!

I have three questions about obtaining residency that I was wondering if I could get some input on. I will be going to school at UNC starting in the fall and plan to apply for residency in NC before the start of my second year (my intentions are truly to stay even after graduation). I am currently a VA resident.

I have read the North Carolina residency manual for higher education and have talked to some students who have made the transition. I have three questions I am still a little confused about.

1) I am still on my parents health insurance policy and plan to remain on it. Will this impact anything?

2) I am still on my parents car insurance policy and plan to remain. Same question as above.

3) I have had the same vehicle since I was 16, but it has always been under my dad’s name (my parents purchased my first vehicle). This will be the vehicle I take to school with me. Will this impact me?

I will be covering the cost of my tuition and cost of living entirely on my own (with student loans and saved money), but was not sure how this three things would impact me.

Thanks!