Help with School list (3.71 GPA 512 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arabelias

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for feedback on my school list at the bottom, and if there's anything that could be further refined in my selection (i.e. if I'm overlooking a school, or if there's a school that wouldn't interested in me at all). Thank you!

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS 3.71 cGPA, 3.62 sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. Latest attempt in April '22 – 512 (129/126/126/131)
    2. First attempt in May '21 – 504 (125/126/126/127)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) MA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race Middle Eastern
  5. Undergraduate institution or category UMass Amherst
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Volunteer: 100 hours at a local VA Hospital, included patient transport, physical therapy, and PACU
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. ~5000 hours as Research Assistant/Coordinator in health systems sciences (full-time position over 2 years);
    2. 4 publications in geriatric medicine journals (2nd author on 1 article + 3rd author for others) & 1 manuscript under review in a pharmacoepi journal
    3. Presenting/1st author for a poster presentation at a national research conference & a contributing author for a poster accepted at an international conference
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. None * (unless virtual shadowing webinars count, but I would assume not)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 100 hours in partnership with local communities and student clubs
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. ~ 800 hours working as a Residential Assistant à informed my desire to work with diverse patient populations
    2. 600 hours of leadership/supervision experience following promotion from a Research Assistant to Coordinator position
    3. ~65 hours of leadership experience as community service chair for my fraternity.
    4. Ad-hoc reviewer for a peer reviewed journal (I was shocked by the invitation myself)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Dean’s List 5/7 semesters
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Identify as LGBTQ+
    2. Interest in primary care specialties, and interest in serving immigrant and lgbtq+ populations
Albany
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
BU
Rosalind Franklin University
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac University
GW
Georgetown
Hackensack
Mount Sinai
Kaiser
Temple University
Loyola University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Michigan State
New York Medical College
Oakland University
Oregon Health
Penn State
UVM
Rutgers
Thomas Jefferson University
Brown University
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
UConn
University of Illinois College of Medicine
UMass* (Strong Connection)
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

You r complete lack of shadowing and low clinical and non clinical volunteering hours will limit your chances for interviews. You also have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state as well as some reaches. Schools such as Georgetown and Loyola are looking for applicants with far more clinical and non clinical hours than you have.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
TCU-UNT
You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including primary care), another 100+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact, and 200+ hours of non clinical volunteering in case you need to reapply next year. @Goro and @Mr.Smile12 your opinions.

Reactions: 1 user
Interest needs to come with experience. Please be more specific about "Interest in primary care specialties, and interest in serving immigrant and lgbtq+ populations".

Virtual shadowing is no longer going to be a substitute for in-person, but here again, it would help you if you had experience with " primary care".

Are you doing any shelter work with LGBTQ+ communities? Any specific outreach to LGBTQ+ MENAs or refugees?

OP, your lack of ECs would have my student interviewers eat you alive.

Take a gap year to get in the needed ECs

50 hrs shadowing (live)
15O hrs+ clinical exposure
150 hrs + nonclinical volunteering to those who are less fortunate than yourself. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone as well.