Help with school list 3.85, 519

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esadz3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I used wedgedawg's rating system and came up with a larger list of schools, but it seems pretty top heavy, any thoughts

Harvard
Yale
Penn
Duke
WashU
Columbia
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Emory
Pitt
Vanderbilt
BU
Tufts
Rochester
Dartmouth
Einstein
UNC
UVA
Hofstra
Stony brook
Downstate
Upstate
Wake forest
Albany

I'm guessing you're a NY-resident! Your list looks good to me based on my n=1 experience (so others can probably advise more), and you will probably get a good amount of love from NY-schools. I'm a nontrad w/ similar stats and had interviews this cycle at 9 of the schools on your list. I recommend taking off UNC because they take very few out-of-state candidates. I also wonder about Wake -- do you have any ties to the area? If you can see yourself living in VA, maybe add Virginia Tech? I was really impressed with my interview there. Also, if you have an interest in rural medicine, you might want to look into Columbia's-Bassett program (you apply to Columbia but check off your interest/write an additional essay in the secondary). http://www.columbia-bassett.org/

I'm guessing you're a NY-resident! Your list looks good to me based on my n=1 experience (so others can probably advise more), and you will probably get a good amount of love from NY-schools. I'm a nontrad w/ similar stats and had interviews this cycle at 9 of the schools on your list. I recommend taking off UNC because they take very few out-of-state candidates. I also wonder about Wake -- do you have any ties to the area? If you can see yourself living in VA, maybe add Virginia Tech? I was really impressed with my interview there. Also, if you have an interest in rural medicine, you might want to look into Columbia's-Bassett program (you apply to Columbia but check off your interest/write an additional essay in the secondary). http://www.columbia-bassett.org/

Thanks for the reply, it makes me feel better! I didn't know Virginia Tech even had a med school so I'll check it out. I was interested in schools in NC because it looks my boyfriend will be going to grad school down there, so I wanted to keep the option of being in that area open. I'll definitely look into the Columbia program, but I don't really have any idea what specialty I want to go into yet