Help with School List; 509 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalypsoEuropa

Reaction score
Hello SDN,

As the upcoming cycle quickly approaches, I am back seeking advice. This time, I would love to get an opinion on the school list I developed. I am willing to apply to 30ish schools; however, I am scared that the list is not balanced or too unreasonable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. For convenience, I have included my stats below. I will

cGPA: 3.62 (net upward trends)
sGPA: 3.52 (net upward trend)
MCAT score: 509 (126/127/128/128)
State of residence: Southern US (for anonymity)
Ethnicity: AA, Male
Undergraduate institution or category: HYPSM
Clinical Volunteering: Assisted Living (1 year); Shelter (1 Summer); Clinic (1 Winter)
Research experience: 1 Semester in Cancer Biology, 1 Semester in Immunology, Summer + Winter in Behavioral Economics, Summer Fellowship in Public Policy
Shadowing: Neurology (~12 hrs) , Interventional Cardiology (~20 hrs), Transplant Surgery (~ 50 hrs), Family Medicine (~10 hrs)
Non-clinical volunteering: HS Mentor (4 years)
Other extracurricular activities: Freshman Advisor, Tour Guide, Health Conference Executive Leadership, BGLTQ+ Student Life, Social Justice Group, Black Students Group
WARS Score: 75 (Conservative Assessment)

I will likely try to trim between 5-8 schools, so any help on that would be helpful as well!

List of Potential Schools
State Schools (3)
Morehouse
Howard
Loyola
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Georgetown
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
UMiami
Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Wake Forest
Einstein
USC
Boston U
Ohio State
Rochester
Emory
Case Western
UCLA
Mt. Sinai
Brown
Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Stanford
Cornell
Yale

Members don't see this ad.

You could remove these schools since your MCAT is not competitive for these:
USC
UCLA
Mt. Sinai
Brown
Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Stanford
Cornell
Yale
You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

Reactions: 3 users
You should be in good position with your state schools. Connect with the SNMA chapters at the schools near the top of your wish list, as well as the diversity/student services staff. It's not clear but did you do any academic enrichment programs?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should be in good position with your state schools. Connect with the SNMA chapters at the schools near the top of your wish list, as well as the diversity/student services staff. It's not clear but did you do any academic enrichment programs?

Thank you for the suggestions! I will take some time to determine those at the top of my wish list and reach out! :)
On academic enrichment programs... my research fellowship in public policy consisted of joining a larger student researcher community with ample opportunities to listen to faculty pioneering research in the field of public health and the natural sciences. Outside of that, I not participated in any explicit academic enrichment programs.

You could remove these schools since your MCAT is not competitive for these:
USC
UCLA
Mt. Sinai
Brown
Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Stanford
Cornell
Yale
You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

Thank you for the input! Originally, I was not planning to apply DO; however, do you think that I should consider that option?

Thank you for the input! Originally, I was not planning to apply DO; however, do you think that I should consider that option?
You do not need to apply to DO schools.You could add other MD schools such as:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Meharry
St. Louis
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin

Reactions: 1 user