Help with school list? 522 MCAT, 3.98 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick your favorite 20 of the top 30, plus your state schools. Done.

Reactions: 5 users
As long as you apply to your 3 NJ state public schools you can add any other schools that appeal to you. Avoid state public schools that accept few non residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
These schools are more likely to interview you with your stats:
Washington University
Pitt
Case Western
Rochester
NYU
Mount Sinai
Einstein

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any top schools I should avoid applying to? Or others I should definitely apply to, such as ones that place heavy emphasis on stats? I think that’s the primary strength of my application

Read the response by @Gurby

You sound pretty golden. You might want to apply to a few TX schools just for the low tuition -- assuming you care about money. Baylor & UTSW are absolutely top caliber and there's a whole second tier that's still very, very solid that can save you $200,000 or so.

Even though they accept few OOS, your stats make you a very attractive addition.

Are TX schools known for giving good scholarships to OOS students? Are there any others that stand out to you as being especially generous?

They're known for their insanely low IS tuition (~$18K/year) and for giving small scholarships to OOS students that entitle them to IS tuition. Cost of living is also relatively low and Houston (Baylor) and Dallas (UTSW) are both great cities to live in.

Hi guys, I'm starting to try to compile my school list for next app cycle because at my school, we have final exams during submission period (May/June). Therefore, I'm going to try writing my personal statement starting this winter break. Here are some of my stats. Can I get a bit of help formulating a school list? I'd like to apply to some top 20s but don't want to waste my time if my app seems kind of basic. There are not too many state medical schools in NJ, unfortunately, so most likely I'll apply to a lot of private schools since I only want to do MD.
  • Year in school: Senior
  • Race: ORM
  • Country/state of residence: NJ
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.98
  • Science GPA: 3.95
  • MCAT Score: 522 (131/131/131/129)
  • Research: Worked in two labs, one from the very beginning of freshman year so I have probably >1000 hours. Received an Amgen fellowship. 2 poster presentations, 1 mid-author publication. Great LOR from my first lab mentor.
  • Volunteering (clinical): >400 hours, about 200 from a VA hospital, another 120 working at a hospital delirium-prevention program. Will get a great letter from the delirium prevention program. I also worked in a free clinic over the summer for uninsured patients and helped connect them to community resources. 60 hours here, and may return during my gap year.
  • Physician shadowing: 75 hours; 40 with an Internal Medicine doc, 30-40 split between two Neurosurgeons
  • Non-clinical volunteering: Interned at a local education nonprofit for 3 years, about 5 hours a week. Helped with web design and writing stories about the scholars we supported. Easily my favorite EC! Also worked as an unpaid intern for HHS Department of Child Support Services. I would say this was about 8-10 hours a week, 2 years.
  • Extracurricular activities: Wellness Committee chair; Honors College Ambassador; Student body representative for the Alumni Association; Phi Beta Kappa.
  • Employment history: Worked part-time (20 hrs/week) during my sophomore and junior years at the Technology Help Desk at my university
Start with U Penn, and work outwards to any MD school. If you really need my list of recommendations, it's a long one! Obviously, a lot of Harvard/Stanford class schools.

As everyone else has said, you are competitive for every school in the country. Your question shouldn't be which schools to apply to, it should be which schools do you want to apply to. That is a question you need to answer for yourself by researching different programs.

But to leverage your sexy mcat, make sure the least holistic schools are at the top of your list, since that's the first number they'll look at. (WashU, NYU, VANDY, Northwestern, Chicago, and LizzyM's school) Do not forget to add your state schools no matter what. The advice to apply TMDSAS is very wise, you should take it. Debt is a life-changing thing. Imagine the absence of it.

Ill take the list anyway! I have no idea how to begin except by listing schools in cities that I’d like to live in
Wash U
U Chicago
NYU
U Penn
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Northwestern
Case
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
JHU
U VA
U MI
U VM
U WI
U IA
UCSF
UCLA,
UCSD,
Miami
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Mayo
Rochester
Dartmouth
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Your state schools

Hi guys, I'm starting to try to compile my school list for next app cycle because at my school, we have final exams during submission period (May/June). Therefore, I'm going to try writing my personal statement starting this winter break. Here are some of my stats. Can I get a bit of help formulating a school list? I'd like to apply to some top 20s but don't want to waste my time if my app seems kind of basic. There are not too many state medical schools in NJ, unfortunately, so most likely I'll apply to a lot of private schools since I only want to do MD.
  • Research: Worked in two labs, one from the very beginning of freshman year so I have probably >1000 hours. Received an Amgen fellowship. 2 poster presentations, 1 mid-author publication. Great LOR from my first lab mentor.
  • Volunteering (clinical): >400 hours, about 200 from a VA hospital, another 120 working at a hospital delirium-prevention program. Will get a great letter from the delirium prevention program. I also worked in a free clinic over the summer for uninsured patients and helped connect them to community resources. 60 hours here, and may return during my gap year.
  • Physician shadowing: 75 hours; 40 with an Internal Medicine doc, 30-40 split between two Neurosurgeons
  • Non-clinical volunteering: Interned at a local education nonprofit for 3 years, about 5 hours a week. Helped with web design and writing stories about the scholars we supported. Easily my favorite EC! Also worked as an unpaid intern for HHS Department of Child Support Services. I would say this was about 8-10 hours a week, 2 years.
  • Extracurricular activities: Wellness Committee chair; Honors College Ambassador; Student body representative for the Alumni Association; Phi Beta Kappa.
  • Employment history: Worked part-time (20 hrs/week) during my sophomore and junior years at the Technology Help Desk at my university
You are what @Goro calls a rock star. You're golden, if not platinum. Pick some top 20s and some state schools and you are good. Stats and ECs are both Harvard-level.

Reactions: 1 users

@trackandhp7 So how'd it work out for you? School, scholarship, # of apps sent/interviews/offers and scholarships?

You are Platinum.png

Status
Not open for further replies.