This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

definitely_chondria

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations on acquiring the benchmarks and experiences needed to be a terrific applicant. However, your list is very very top heavy.... Don't set yourself for potential disappointment (likelihood ~10% depending upon LORs and interview skills). You must look at the list of MSTPs and large fully funded MD/PhD programs, and apply to 5 programs that have benchmarks below yours, 5-10 programs with similar benchmarks, and 5-10 dream programs. Your list is primarily the latter with a few at similar...
Look at - TABLE B-8 and MSTP list
Table B-8 in excel allows you to calculate the number of applicants per slot in the program. There are several MSTPs with really high ratios while others are easier to get into. Just keep in mind that there are about 200 other applicants with similar numbers.
PM me if you need further discussion

Just to add to what Fencer has said, I would definitely recommend giving a lot of thought to some of the intangibles of your application as you gear up for your cycle. You have awesome stats, research, and experiences, so to set yourself apart, start thinking about how you can weave these experiences together into a cohesive story (e.g. how did one experience inspire you to pursue another, what are some uniting themes of the activities and research you have engaged in, etc). Crafting an application that is more than the sum of its parts is a great way to help you stand out from other applicants with similarly excellent backgrounds. Additionally, start thinking about how you would concisely answer the question "Why do I want to be a physician scientist?". I know it sounds obvious, but being able to articulate (both in essay form and in interviews) how you would like to incorporate research and clinical work (and how your previous experiences have shown you the value of doing so) will also help you stand out.

I know this doesn't exactly answer the questions you raised, but I just wanted to tack on some advice that I would have loved to have a few months prior to starting my primary!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you wouldn't go to UMich or Mayo then don't apply there. I would rather go to a lower ranked MSTP than live in Rochester, so I'm with you on that.

You absolutely need to apply to schools with lower benchmarks (in addition to your already listed ones of course). You're at or below the median for many of the schools you listed, which means that you're directly competing with others who often have amazing research experience. To be confident in the coming year you should apply broadly, not just in terms of a broad selection of top schools, but broadly in terms of a range of school choices.

Agree with above poster. I applied with similar stats and did well, but you should add in more low tier/“safety” programs like OHSU, Emory, etc to cover your bases.

UCSF has a really great social justice focus! They are the most diverse medical school in the country and their clinical opportunities (ex: San Francisco General) give you the chance to really immerse yourself in working with underserved populations.

You must look at the list of MSTPs and large fully funded MD/PhD programs, and apply to 5 programs that have benchmarks below yours, 5-10 programs with similar benchmarks, and 5-10 dream programs. Your list is primarily the latter with a few at similar...

You absolutely need to apply to schools with lower benchmarks (in addition to your already listed ones of course).

Agree with above poster. I applied with similar stats and did well, but you should add in more low tier/“safety” programs like OHSU, Emory, etc to cover your bases.

Thank you all! Based on your suggestions, I have added some schools to my list: U of Colorado, Boston U, OHSU, Albert Einstein, U of Maryland, and U of Illinois at Chicago. I hope I will get into at least one of my dream schools, but I feel like these schools are more of a match with my given stats, and I won't have to sacrifice geographical location either. :)

I would definitely recommend giving a lot of thought to some of the intangibles of your application as you gear up for your cycle. You have awesome stats, research, and experiences, so to set yourself apart, start thinking about how you can weave these experiences together into a cohesive story (e.g. how did one experience inspire you to pursue another, what are some uniting themes of the activities and research you have engaged in, etc). Crafting an application that is more than the sum of its parts is a great way to help you stand out from other applicants with similarly excellent backgrounds.
This is such a helpful perspective, thank you! It feels like developing a cohesive application is a lot like branding a business product. Is your unique "brand" something that you try to express through your personal statement, or just in how you word your activities and research?

UCSF has a really great social justice focus! They are the most diverse medical school in the country and their clinical opportunities (ex: San Francisco General) give you the chance to really immerse yourself in working with underserved populations.
Thanks for the tip! UCSF is definitely one of my dream schools (fingers crossed!).

Last edited:
Great! I think you have a good shot of getting into one of your dream schools! I had worse stats than you and got into a top 10 in my preferred geographical location (as did many whom I applied with). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user