MD Help with School-list for Queer POC (3.92 cGPA, 3.89 sGPA, 521 MCAT (130/128/131/132))

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsubaith

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would love some feedback on my school list. I don't have a knowledgeable support system back home so you guys are all I have. Due to financial reason and also my own sanity, I would love to keep my list of school to about 20+/- 2, maybe even less if possible. Since I am a gay Asian man, I would prefer attending to school in areas that are welcoming and supportive of my racial identity and sexual orientation. I am also hoping to aim for some sort of MD/MPH dual program if available!

Any advice/ feedback is greatly appreciated.

cGPA: 3.92
sGPA: 3.89
MCAT: 521 (130/128/131/132)
State: California
Race: Asian
Undergraduate Institution: Top UC, graduated in Fall of 2014 (not sure if I am considered a non-Trad)

Major work experiences /ec's:
  • Currently working as a consulting data analyst for physicians at a large HMO
  • Volunteering at free clinic with direct patient interactions and shadowing opportunities (2+ years)
  • Worked at a dementia research lab with direct patient interaction (1 year, no presentation / no pub)
  • Leadership at a student organization w/ ~60 members (1 year as member, 3 years as leadership role)
  • Dorm/residential hall advisor (1 year)
  • Other undergraduate research in Psychology and Entomology (1.5 years combined, no presentation / no pub)
  • Worked throughout college to financially support myself (around 15-20 hours a week)
School list (18 total)
California Schools (7)

Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC
UCI
UCD

Boston Schools (2)
Harvard
Boston University

Philadelphia Schools (1)
UPenn (Perelman)

New York Schools (4)
Columbia
New York University (Langone)
Mt. Sinai
Weill Cornell

Chicago Schools (2)
Pritzker (U Chicago)
Feinberg (Northwestern)

DC Schools (1)
Georgetown University

Michigan (1)
University of Michigan— Ann Arbor

A few questions: Are there other QPOC friendly cities that I am not aware of? Am I being too unrealistic and should I apply to other schools to broaden my chances? Here are some of the maybe schools that I am thinking about:
Dartmouth
Yale
Einstein
Hofstra
John Hopkins
Vanderbilt University
University of Pittsburgh
Mayo Clinic

Thank you so much, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should also consider University of Miami and University of Vermont.