WAMC/School list help, PA resident sGPA 3.92/502 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itriedmybest

Reaction score
I am a Chemistry major looking to gain some insight into what schools I should apply to and get an idea. Also, let me know if there is anything I can improve upon. I am open to applying mainly to MD but open to DO.

cGPA: 3.875 and sGPA: 3.92
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 502 (130,122,127,123)
State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Pennsylvania
Ethnicity and/or race: White/Middle Eastern
Undergraduate institution or category: University of Pittsburgh
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
Hospital Volunteer: 171 hours at the moment, looking to reach 200 hours by this application cycle (Started August 2022)
Research experience and productivity
Chemistry Department, Computational Physical Chemistry Lab: Currently 320 hours (Started August 2023)
Pitt School of Medicine, General Surgery Lab: 56 hours at the moment, projected 100 hours by application cycle (Started January 2024)
General Surgery Lab: Currently producing a poster to present the abstract of our paper/publication
Shadowing experience and specialties represented
Shadowing: 70 hours at the moment divided between Interventional Radiology and Pathology, projected to have 100 hours by cycle (Started March 2023)
Hoping to shadow a DO soon
Non-clinical volunteering
Volunteered as an Instrumentalist for a Local Theater: 100 hours (June 2021)
Hoping to volunteer at a food bank soon to get close to 150 hours
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Orchestra: 246 hours so far (Started August 2021)
Soccer Playing/Clubs: 328 hours (Started August 2021)
Teaching Assistant: 80 hours so far, will be 100 by cycle (not paid) (Started January 2023)
Bodybuilding/Exercise: 9999/lots of hours
Math Tutor: 50 hours (paid) (Started June 2022)
American Chemical Society and American Medical Student Association Member (Joined September 2021)
Relevant honors or awards
Dean’s List Every Semester
Chemistry Department Zarilla Award (Awarded to 4 students every year)
Anything else not listed you think might be important
Every Summer, I travel to my family's country of origin and bring supplies and items that are not easily accessible to my relatives’ neighbors, community members, etc. It might not be important for the application, but it is my way of giving back.
7 Strong Letters of Rec: Chem 1 Professor, Calculus 2 Professor, PI/Chem Professor, Chem Professor I TA for, Non-science professor, hospital volunteer director, and main shadowing physician (Interventional Radiology)

Members don't see this ad.

What changed since

What changed since
Increased hours in many categories such as research, clinical volunteer, hobbies, etc.
GPA Increase
2 More letters of rec that I felt were holes in that category
Chem Department Award
Poster and presentation soon discussion of the abstract of a soon publication

Members don't see this ad :)
Increased hours in many categories such as research, clinical volunteer, hobbies, etc.
GPA Increase
Chem Department Award
I can't imagine our advice would change significantly unless you retook the MCAT and increased by 10 or more points overall.

I didn't read the previous thread but agree that an MCAT retake is in order. Otherwise, you have all the foundations of a solid app.

GPA Increase
Chem Department Award
I agree, the problem with your app was the MCAT, and it still is the MCAT. Unless the MCAT changes, doors to MD schools are not likely to open outside of the ones already listed in the prior thread.