Help with school list + lots of questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastandfuranious

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your app is seems very strong. In terms of IA's yours is probably one of the milder ones as long as you explain how you've grown and learned for it you will be fine.

Are you a URM, White, or ORM?

Some schools that fit your commitment to underserved populations:
  • GW
  • Drexel
  • Drew/UCLA - Program geared more for minority applicants
I'd be happy to recommend other schools based on your stats.

Your app is seems very strong. In terms of IA's yours is probably one of the milder ones as long as you explain how you've grown and learned for it you will be fine.

Are you a URM, White, or ORM?

Some schools that fit your commitment to underserved populations:
  • GW
  • Drexel
  • Drew/UCLA - Program geared more for minority applicants
I'd be happy to recommend other schools based on your stats.
I'm ORM.. will edit my post to reflect that. And thank you so much! Can you recommend some others too?

Members don't see this ad :)
With your stats and ECs you are probably competitive for any school in the country. Just make sure to have a good balance of top schools and middle ranked schools just to be safe.

Apply to:

All your state school and private IS MD's
10 Middle/Low Ranked Schools
  • Jefferson
  • Georgetown
  • Tufts
  • Boston
  • Hofstra
  • Drexel - Strong Commitment to Underserved
  • GW - Strong Commitment to Underserved
  • University of Miami
  • Emory - Strong Puiblic Health Program (CDC is near by)
  • Drew/UCLA - Strong Commitment to Underserved
10 Higher Ranked Schools (really just your preference)
  • Columbia - NY has a large underserved population
  • JHU - Strong Public Health Program
  • Yale - Strong Public Health Program
  • UPenn - Philly has large underserved population
  • UChicago
  • Harvard
  • Cornell
  • UCLA
  • Duke
I am sure the adcoms on here will say your golden @Goro @LizzyM @Faha

Reactions: 1 user
IMHO, the IA is one of the more serious ones. If I were assigned to interview you, I would ask about the TFA assignment because I know that those are a two year thing... if you told me that you planned to defer, I'd recommend that you not be admitted because you would not matriculate with the incoming class.

Applying so that the MCAT score doesn't expire but planning to defer if admitted is a little like giving your clicker to someone... a innocent little way to play the system. Apply broadly. Consider that you may have to reapply in which case you will need to retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
IMHO, the IA is one of the more serious ones. If I were assigned to interview you, I would ask about the TFA assignment because I know that those are a two year thing... if you told me that you planned to defer, I'd recommend that you not be admitted because you would not matriculate with the incoming class.

Applying so that the MCAT score doesn't expire but planning to defer if admitted is a little like giving your clicker to someone... a innocent little way to play the system. Apply broadly. Consider that you may have to reapply in which case you will need to retake the MCAT.
I concur with my learned colleague. One of first things my Adcom colleagues would be to wonder would be why are you applying to med school when you already took on the TFA commitment? What does this say about your commitment to Medicine? What kind of planning skills are you lacking?

Then there's the clicker thing. You are competing against people who don't have a strike like that on your record.

I strongly suggest doing the TFA, retaking the MCAT and then applying

Reactions: 1 user