help with school list - low mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mhtotte

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey SDN,

I need some help with a school list. I just got my MCAT score back and it's not great, 1st attempt 497, anddd 2nd attempt 497. My app has already been submitted and verified so I kind of want to apply to a small number of schools just in hopes that I might have a chance.

IL resident, non-URM female
chem major, cGPA 3.52, sGPA 3.3 (sGPA might increase slightly from 7 science credits of A's this summer)
>2000 ER scribe hours, 600 hours working in a medical business office
30 hours primary care shadowing, 25 hours ortho, 45 hours peds, LOR's from MD and DO
leadership experience in college and currently a chief scribe
around 200 clinical volunteer hours and 150 non-clinical
1 year research
starting a 1 year Biomedical Science certificate program at Marian in a few weeks

I am applying to Marian since I will be going there for the biomedical science program this fall. I know I am below the MCAT averages at most DO schools, but are there any that I might have a shot at with my stats?
 
If you are not an URM, you better be repping some sweet clinical experiences. I recommend the newest DO schools, and a retake.

Does Marian have a linkage agreement with the Biomedical science students?
 
If you are not an URM, you better be repping some sweet clinical experiences. I recommend the newest DO schools, and a retake.

Does Marian have a linkage agreement with the Biomedical science students?

If you get a 3.5 in the first semester you get an automatic interview. Last year's class 18/22 of those who qualified for the interview got accepted
 
I would ask why the other 4 did not get accepted. 80% acceptance isn't too bad, but a 3.5 is a bit easier said than done.

I think you should put your full focus on nailing the masters. If you have a shot at medical school, take it.

If you get a 3.5 in the first semester you get an automatic interview. Last year's class 18/22 of those who qualified for the interview got accepted