Help With School List Please? Reapplicant: Low GPA, Strong MCAT, Decent EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Niting97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a reapplicant desperately in need of some advice on my school list. I listed my stats and schools I applied to last cycle below. Any help will be much appreciated!

GPA: 3.41 cGPA, 3.31 sGPA with a strong upward GPA trend in my last 2 years. Junior cGPA: 3.65 sGPA: 3.53. Senior year: cGPA: 3.96, sGPA: 3.95 (both junior and senior years classes were upper level science course heavy)

MCAT: I took the MCAT twice and scored a 514 the second time (127/129/128/130). First time was a 505.

EC's:
My EC's from Before my Gap Year were:
1) Research 880 hours in a cell biology lab researching the effects of pomegranate juice on prostate cancer. I'm hoping that my graduate student that I worked under will publish this year.
2) Volunteering: 80 hours in the Riverside city hospital.
3) Teaching/Tutoring: 70 hours as a Learning Assistant for freshman Biology students for Cell and Molecular Biology.

During/After Gap Year:
1) Scribing: 800+ hours (so far) scribing in Internal Medicine, Ophthalmology, Pediatrics, Glaucoma, and Allergy/Asthma clinics.
2) Volunteering: 130+ hours (so far) volunteering at a local food bank.
3) Shadowing: 30 hours shadowing an Internal Medicine physician.
4) Enrolled to take 5 unit Human Neuroanatomy and Physiology class and lab at a state college that will last from June to July.

Demographic Info:
UC Riverside graduate.
California resident.
Asian American ethnicity.

This was my school list last year. I was put on pre II hold at UCR, Tucson, NY Medical, Albany, and Drexel. No II's.
1) Albany Medical College
2) California Northstate
3) California University of Science and Medicine.
4) Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University
5) Creighton University
6) Drexel University
7) Eastern Virginia
8) Frank H. Netter
9) Loyola University Chicago Stritch
10) Michigan State University
11) New York Medical College
12) Tufts University
13) University of Arizona Tucson
14) University of California, Davis
15)University of California, Riverside
16) Wake Forest

Please let me know if I should add any schools to this list when I reapply this cycle and any I should remove. Due to budget constraints, I'm looking to apply to about 25-30 schools, hoping that is broad enough.

I am also looking into applying for DO schools however it has been difficult trying to get shadowing for one due to the COVID-19 situation. Are there any DO schools that will accept shadowing from an MD physician instead?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should definitely apply broadly to DO schools this cycle and I suggest these (a few may require a DO LOR so you will need to check with each school)
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
MU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
For MD schools I suggest these:
UC Riverside
UC Davis
UC Irvine
California University
California Northstate
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

You should definitely apply broadly to DO schools this cycle and I suggest these (a few may require a DO LOR so you will need to check with each school)
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
MU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
For MD schools I suggest these:
UC Riverside
UC Davis
UC Irvine
California University
California Northstate
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Thanks so much for replying Faha! I had a similar post like this when I was applying last year and you replied advising that I should work on my EC's, namely shadowing and scribing, as well as take some science courses, which I will be doing this summer. Given this, do you think I have a better shot at an interview this cycle from the schools you listed?

Also in terms of DO, you said last time that I was competitive for all DO schools. Does this point still stand or will a DO school be difficult for me to get into as well?

-Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me (twice)!

You are competitive for all DO schools with a MCAT of 514 and a cGPA of 3.41 . You could also receive MD interviews with a MCAT of 514.

Reactions: 1 user