Help with school list please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puffinlover16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I've been doing my homework and have somewhat struggled to narrow down my list given my kind of disparate stats:

CA resident, top 25 undergrad. Non-science double major
cGPA 3.75 sGPA 3.61
MCAT: 521 (130/129/130/132 so fairly balanced)

Volunteering: Plenty of clinical and non-clinical volunteering experiences (>500hrs total)
Research: 1.5 yrs with Global Health dept faculty, multiple projects & published once
Other ECs: pretty diverse - a capella, student gov't, sending people on medical missions, etc. I've held multiple strong leadership roles (eg captain, president, director), so I'd say I'm decent on those
Shadowing: >100hrs shadowing primary care, neurology, and (anticipated) EM doctors

I'm currently out of school and teach music. I also tutor students in biology and Spanish - did this and volunteered as I finished my last prereqs and studied for the MCAT. For the upcoming cycle I'm anticipating a position either interning with a medical practice or working for Americorps; still waiting to hear back post-interviews.

My school list is a mile long but tentatively
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC San Diego
UCLA
UC Riverside (?)
University of Colorado
University of Cincinnati
USF Health Morsani
VCU
EVMS
SUNY - Upstate
Stony Brook University
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
Albany Medical College
California Northstate
Rosalind Franklin (?)
Geisel @ Dartmouth
USC
Tufts
Tulane
Wake Forest
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Rush
Drexel
Emory
Georgetown
GWU

Advice and suggestions of all kinds are welcome! Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Delete:
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC San Diego
UCLA
UC Riverside (?) Are from the IE?
University of Colorado Is there some connection to this state?

University of Cincinnati
USF Health Morsani stats mismatch
VCU Stats and regional mismatch
EVMS Stats and regional mismatch
SUNY - Upstate "
Stony Brook University "
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine "
Albany Medical College"
California Northstate You deserve better.
Rosalind Franklin (?) stats mismatch

Geisel @ Dartmouth
USC
Tufts
Tulane
Wake Forest
New York Medical College stats mismatch
Quinnipiac "

Rush
Drexel stats and regional mismatch
Emory
Georgetown stats mismatch, >10,000 aps
GWU, "

You need more OOS targets.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can add:

BU
Cornell
Mayo
UVA
Tufts

@gyngyn what do you think about these additions?
Mayo has a really small class size, though OP would be quirkier than average with Americorps.
The others are better choices than the ones I redded out.

Nothing wrong with aiming high. I suggest:
Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U AZ
U VM
Jefferson
UCSF
UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UCR (IF you’re from the Inland Empire)
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra

Thank you @LoveBeingHuman:) and @Goro - I really appreciate your advice and suggestions and will use it to alter my list accordingly. I guess I was just concerned due to my low science GPA over anything...

@gyngyn so, would you recommend I only apply to Mayo if I end up accepting an offer from AmeriCorps?

Also - I heard Brown really only favors applicants who have attended Ivies for undergrad. Should I strike it off my list or would it be worth a shot?

Thank you @LoveBeingHuman:) and @Goro - I really appreciate your advice and suggestions and will use it to alter my list accordingly. I guess I was just concerned due to my low science GPA over anything...

@gyngyn so, would you recommend I only apply to Mayo if I end up accepting an offer from AmeriCorps?

Also - I heard Brown really only favors applicants who have attended Ivies for undergrad. Should I strike it off my list or would it be worth a shot?
Brown has a strong preference for its own students and those of higher ranked schools.