help with school list please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileycat33

Reaction score
Hi, I am really struggling to narrow down my school list. I have a mismatched MCAT and GPA so it was hard to guess which schools would be realistic for me.
I put in my stats to admit.org and it only gave me a bunch of reaches and one target… but then also said I don't need to apply DO?

GPA: 3.52 (I have no grades from my junior year. I studied abroad my junior fall, then had mandatory pass/fail in the spring due to covid). My senior GPA was a 3.9
MCAT: 518 (CP 129 CARS 130 BB 129 PS 130) in 2023 (I also took it in 2021 with a 507)
NY resident
ivy undergrad
Currently in a foreign master’s program (nutrition/sustainability, thesis is an experiment regarding sarcopenia interventions)
My extracurriculars are not spectacular; I wasn’t committed to med school as an undergrad so, though I participated in pre-med experiences, I did not focus on them

Clinical experience : medical service trip to Peru (40 hours on site), scribing for a dermatological surgeon (450 hours)
Shadowing : 40 hours (my pre-med advising said this is fine)
Research : for my thesis project, around 215 including the work I did outside of lab translating and transcribing food diaries

One of my most meaningful activities is service-based (volunteer after-school program), but it’s nothing close to what I see some people on here volunteering at soup kitchens every night for three years straight, so not sure it makes me a candidate for schools with a mission focused on service

I do have an ‘other impactful experiences’ essay about a unique opportunity I had in high school despite being on food stamps

I am interested in primary care, specifically integrative, functional medicine

Here is my current school list : anything with an asterisk has an integrative facility/opportunity
I’m having trouble narrowing down, especially since only one of the schools where my MCAT is above the 90th percentile have an integrative program…
I don’t want to apply too top heavy, but am also comfortable having a handful of throwaways because why not

I ordered the list in terms of where my MCAT falls within their range (I used MSAR and adjusted for in/out of state as applicable)

>/= 90th percentile
  • PSU
  • Wake*
  • Loyola Chicago
  • Rush
  • Albany Medical College
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Drexel
  • Temple
  • Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
  • University of Illinois College of Medicine

75th-90th
  • Thomas Jefferson*
  • SUNY Upstate *
  • SUNY Downstate
  • USC Greenville*
  • UVM*
  • University of Wisconsin *
  • Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
  • Albert Einstein*
  • SLU
  • Quinnipiac
  • Tufts *
50th-75th
  • Dartmouth*
  • Icahn Mt Sinai *
  • Stony Brook*
  • Brown *
  • UPitt*
MCAT is median
  • UMich*
  • UCSF*
  • Cornell*
  • Case Western*
between 25th-50th
  • Harvard*
  • UChicago*
  • Duke*
  • Mayo clinic *
  • Northwestern*
  • Stanford*

If there are any schools you think I should absolutely eliminate based on specific criteria they have, please let me know. I'm looking for any advice on cutting down, thank you to whoever can help!

Members don't see this ad.

200 hours of mentoring/tutoring at an after-school program in an underserved neighborhood (providing a safe space after school and helping with math hw and reading skills)
I participated the first 4 semesters of college, then was abroad for junior fall, did some junior spring until having to leave campus (my senior year was completely virtual so I didn't have any hours in this activity from early junior spring onward)

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical experience :
scribing for a dermatological surgeon (450 hours)
Shadowing : 40 hours (my pre-med advising said this is fine)
What other specialties are represented? Primary care representation is preferred given your heavy derm exposure.

Tutoring is overrepresented as a premed activity, and you need service orientation activities like food distribution, shelter volunteer, job and tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. 150 hours at submission is expected to avoid getting screened out at most schools.

Your GPA is not competitive for top tier schools and also many applicants to those schools have many more non clinical and clinical exposure than you have as well as much more research. Some of your schools are state public schools that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
New York Medical College
Albany
Hofstra
Rochester
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Belmont
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Illinois
Medical College Wisconsin
Iowa
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont

Your GPA is not competitive for top tier schools and also many applicants to those schools have many more non clinical and clinical exposure than you have as well as much more research. Some of your schools are state public schools that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
New York Medical College
Albany
Hofstra
Rochester
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Belmont
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Illinois
Medical College Wisconsin
Iowa
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
thank you for taking the time to write this out!
can I ask why you suggest Hofstra and Rochester even though my MCAT is the median for accepted students there? Also, which schools on my original list are not OOS friendly? I thought I had eliminated the ones that don't tend to accept OOSers. Thanks again!

thank you for taking the time to write this out!
can I ask why you suggest Hofstra and Rochester even though my MCAT is the median for accepted students there? Also, which schools on my original list are not OOS friendly? I thought I had eliminated the ones that don't tend to accept OOSers. Thanks again!
Hofstra offers interviews to 25% to 30% of NY residents who complete secondaries. Rochester also has some instate preference. South Carolina and U Wisconsin admit few non residents with no connection to the state or region.