Help with school list...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.lenkim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM, SMP (still in it), sGPA 3.6 cGPA 3.7, grad GPA :3.7
MCAT 501 (yes, yes I know)...
Strong ECs, 100 hrs+ shadowing, 140 hrs volunteering
re applicant

I've already been AMCAS and AACOMAS verified. Application was submitted a bit late.Secondaries are being sent out as we speak, on a good roll. Have already applied to the ones below, I am interested in adding more, any suggestions???

MD:
Einstein
Central Michigan
Cooper Rowan (no secondary yet :( )
EVMS
Geisinger (TCMC)
Howard
Meharry
U of Buffalo (Jacobs School of Med)
Temple
Michigan State
Penn State
Rutgers RWJD
U of Nebraska
VCU (placed on hold)
Wayne State (no secondary yet :( )

DO:
VCOM
Rowan
MU-SOM
WV-SOM
Campbell
LECOM
PCOM

Members don't see this ad.

State of Residence? Maybe consider Oakland WB, Tulane, and Loyola. 501 is pretty lethal for most MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but a 501 just isn't high enough for MD schools. You can try your public state schools and hope for something, but besides that I would focus almost entirely on DO schools. I'd add a healthy amount of DO schools to your application if you can, preferably those closer to you.

Would not have applied to Cooper or Rutgers. Both highly favor NJ applicants. Apply to more DO as you have a better chance with those schools.

Did you ever find out and fix what was wrong with your previous application?

I think you have a decent shot at the instate PA schools, and PCOM. The other schools will be a reach with that MCAT unfortunately, but I do think you can be successful this cycle, likely DO, possibly MD. Either will get you where you're trying to go. Good luck OP!

Hi there, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but a 501 just isn't high enough for MD schools. You can try your public state schools and hope for something, but besides that I would focus almost entirely on DO schools. I'd add a healthy amount of DO schools to your application if you can, preferably those closer to you.
I know someone who has interviews with 500, and I've met people at an interview with lower. It really depends how the SMP is going, what your ECs look like, how good your letters of rec are, and all the other factors that go into these application. If you have all those things going for you, M.D. could happen, although you will likely not get any interviews until later in the season.

You will get interviews with a 501 because youre a URM, thats how it works. Go through a bunch of the 2018 school threads if you dont believe me and youll see.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile