help with SMPs application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilvrGrey330

SilvrGrey330
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to apply to SMP schools (Rosalind,georgetown, etc) but also MD schools, SMP is my backup. How do i do this, I am about the submit my AMCAS today or tomorrow, and have all of my MD schools added onto that, but how to I choose to go about with SMP application?

what are the joint "post bac-med school" programs? are these the SMP's?, where after a year, you can have a great shot at sliding into their med school.

Also, are there any in the state of FLorida? Thats where i live. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the SMP app process doesn't even begin until January (some February), so don't worry. Barry University has a program, but I think it helps more for D.O. than allo schools. hope this helps...

redsoxfan said:
the SMP app process doesn't even begin until January (some February), so don't worry. Barry University has a program, but I think it helps more for D.O. than allo schools. hope this helps...

thats good to know, but can someone please explain the process to me, where do i start, what to do, which schools to consider, etc etc...im clueless on the issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
SilvrGrey330:
In addition to Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Georgetown, and Boston University which chief_agith mentioned...

UMDNJ-Newark and Eastern Virginia Medical School also have their own SMP programs. However, the former doesn't seem to guarantee all the benefits it used to (for example, you used to be able to take multiple medical courses without any problem--this no longer seems to be the case).

I wouldn't put Loyola in the same league as the other SMPs. The guaranteed interview at Stritch is for the following year, not during the program. So if you're looking to slide into medical school for the following year, I'd suggest the other programs. Most of the programs above give you a shot at matriculating for the following year, but EVMS, Rosalind Franklin, and Georgetown are probably best suited for you if that's your intent. If you want to start at a US MD school ASAP, my opinion is that Rosalind Franklin is the surest means of reaching that goal.

Re: the Florida schools
-USF is planning to have their own pre-professional masters program (MS in Medical Sciences) in full effect by the Fall of 2006. Specifics are still in the works, but more information should surface over the course of the year. There is information on various MS in Medical Sciences programs on the website now, but these are not the same program that USF is planning for next year. My understanding is that the program resembles the 1st year of USF med school very closely, but is not exactly the same.
-FAU has a one-year MS in Biomedical Sciences that allows you to take one MD course with the University of Miami branch med students (Human Gross Anatomy)
-Barry has a 1-2 year MS in Biomedical Sciences, but my understanding is that it feeds more into St. George's University in Grenada and some osteopathic schools like Nova
-Nova has their own 2 year Master of Biomedical Sciences program
-The University of Miami also has a special enhancement program, but it includes upper-division undergraduate coursework, not graduate coursework

Of the Florida programs above, USF *seems* to be best designed for allowing students in the program to matriculate to the medical school for the following year. But again, the program specifics are still being worked out and the program is very new, so it's hard to say.

chief_agith:
I saw your question to me on another thread. The reason I don't mention Drexel IMS when I am specifically mentioning one-year masters programs is that Drexel IMS alone is technically just a certificate. But it does provide the same purpose as the special masters programs: take a challenging one-year accelerated graduate program with medical school courses. If you're willing to put up with some of the hassles, I think it's an excellent option.

thanks guys for all the helpful info. im hoping to get in SOMEWHERE come aug 2006. im a re-applicant, so its frustrating not being in yet. thanks again.

SilvrGrey330 said:
thanks guys for all the helpful info. im hoping to get in SOMEWHERE come aug 2006. im a re-applicant, so its frustrating not being in yet. thanks again.

I am in your same boat silvrgrey. =( what to do? ahhhhh