Help with some scheduling please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering when students at other programs are taking Step and Comlex?

I know our last rotation of 3rd year is scheduled in May. Many students are planning to take it block 1, which is thru June. I've heard some reasoning is that they want to get to their audition rotations earlier. But isn't prime audition time like September through November? I was just wondering if it would be better to delay it a lil, knock out an elective or two in June and July, take Step 2 in August and come in hot for your audition rotations. Does this sound fair and what are you all thinking? And how many of you are all taking both Step 2 and Comlex? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Prime audition is not Sept-Nov. That's kind of prime interview season. Ideally you want auditions to be before interviews so you don't have to keep ditching your audition to go to an interview. On top of that, if you're looking for a letter of rec from an audition, you need that well before applications get submitted. So really prime audition is the start of fourth year through the end of September, possibly longer into Oct depending on the speciality.

Me personally, I plan to take Step and Comlex in June and get it over with before I start my fourth year rotations. I've heard horror stories about being on an audition (or any rotation in general) and having to stress about taking Step and Comlex.

agree with above. I would have auditions done by the end of September -- especially if needing a LOR (or SLOE like me). When interview invites begin coming out (sept 15- nov1 starts depending on specialty) you don't want to be that student on an audition trying to impress but needing to stare at their phone/email all day everyday -- that would add a huge layer of stress!! Most people's first interview tends to be mid October or so.

With the schedule you have I would either take Step 2 June (for sure if you can studying during your last clerkship) and apply for auditions for july - september, knowing its a bit of a "take what you can get" game. Or on the other hand apply for auditions for all months June - Sept and once you get the ones you want to keep whatever month is available use that for Step2 study time.