Help with starting a Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfpack87

AU CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am interested in starting an Internal Medicine club at my school (Auburn University c/o 2014). Does anyone on here have any advice. Oh and I've already started perusing the ACVIM website for some information. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Offer free food? :D

Start a face book page? Post on your schools facebook page? Put up fliers, talk to your class if possible (short little 2 minute blurb before class to let them know you're out there). Talk to current vet students (current class president maybe) to find out what you need to do, and so forth.

Wet labs.

Some cadavers, whatever is in your junk drawer, and endoscopes make for lots of fun.

It depends on how things run at your school, obviously, but I've been doing some looking into starting a club myself. A couple of us are trying to get a lab animal club going at ISU (student chapter of ASLAP), hopefully getting it off the ground first thing this fall.

Stuff I've come across:

Here at Iowa State, clubs are considered official "student organizations" which requires a little hoop-jumping (not a ton, but have to set up some paperwork, have "leadership" training and at least 3 officers, etc). That recognition gets us accounting stuff for the treasurers, etc. We also need to have a faculty member/mentor for the group, who signs off on stuff, and come up with a club constitution, to define who and what we are.

If you want to be a student chapter of a vet organization, there's sometimes some hoops to jump there, too - minimum number of student members, national chapter fees, etc. Again, usually not a big deal, and gets you recognition/use of names, but again takes a bit of work.

Around here, getting a new club up is pretty simple - send out an e-mail asking for interest, try to find a little startup funding for the first couple meetings (vendors can be very willing to send you a few hundred bucks if you sell it right), find a faculty sponsor and a few students willing to volunteer to serve as officers and spread the load, and you should be on your way. Our hope is to get a few dozen students who are in it for the free meals, at minimum, and get a few simple wetlabs/lectures going - just animal handling, unique struggles, etc.