Help with starting salary vs residency?

Started by GSMOMOD
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GSMOMOD

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am graduating this May and have applied to a couple of residencies as well as jobs in my area (Piedmont, NC- Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point, etc). I have received one job offer at a private practice that I love. I'm looking for unbiased starting salary expectations. The practice is open 4.5 days per week and I will be working 4. I have to decide what to do in the next few weeks since the match date for residencies is March 1. Also what should I expect to be a reasonable non-compete agreement?
 
Congrats on landing the job! Most ODs here will tell you to take whatever is being offered.
 
I am graduating this May and have applied to a couple of residencies as well as jobs in my area (Piedmont, NC- Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point, etc). I have received one job offer at a private practice that I love. I'm looking for unbiased starting salary expectations. The practice is open 4.5 days per week and I will be working 4. I have to decide what to do in the next few weeks since the match date for residencies is March 1. Also what should I expect to be a reasonable non-compete agreement?

Given the area and if you look good on paper, I would guess somewhere around $80-85K.
 
If it's a position you could picture yourself in for the long-term, I'd bypass the residency route unless you could contract to arrive a year later with them holding the position for you. Even then, why wait?

I started my associates at $400/day (4 days) with full benefits plus incentive pay for performance (has been about $15-20K/year). Non-competes aren't a big issue since an unreasonable one won't hold up. Assume it will include not working at any of the nearest 10-15 practices.

*I had 25 OD's apply last time I hired an associate (and that was before the new optometrist mills opened!
 
Last edited: