Help with Top 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonahhelix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was cute for a while, like in january, that i had no idea how to rank my top 3. Now, I'm getting a lot freaked out. They are all good progs - in my mind - with equal, but different, +/-'s. If anybody will weigh in, I'd love any input (standard disclaimer: Yes, I did do searches and read prior postings).

If you don't want to answer these q's, that's cool... but how would you rank em?? Choices: Maryland, BIDMC, Pitt

[fyi: lot's of text and q's below. don't read unless you have time and want to help me out of my angst. Thanks a bunch in advance.]
------------------------------------------
Here are my remaining concerns:

UMaryland (best weather by a little bit, but it matters to me more than most, i think; 4 hours from fam)--

1) great PD, but how are the other faculty, teaching?
2) is great trauma training in chunks equal to consistent good trauma?
3) what's it like to live in Baltimore (I've lived in New York and Boston, now in small town South)?
4) options after residency (see BIDMC)
5) peds experience?

BIDMC (closest to fam (3 hours) and friends (most in Boston))--

1) great faculty and teaching, but too much "Harvard" mentality... especially off-service?
2) i believe that trauma is not hard to learn, but does the BI see enough to cover even a low minimum threshhold?
3) how much is my kidney worth... cuz food and shelter in Beantown is $$$?
4) peds experience?
5) how much weight should i give that Junior Attending 4th year? Seems like a really awesome plus. Similarly, I imagine that having the Rosens and Dr. Wolfe calling on your behalf could be very helpful come job time...

Pitt (*might* be my fundamental favorite, but for - very important - distance from fam/friends and crap weather)--

1) Peds experience?
2) how bad will 3 years away from fam/friends and crap weather actually be? should i suck it up for great training? Or, is the training fairly equivalent between these progs, so why not have the social well-being?

If you made it this far, thanks. :love: Again, I'll take any input - practical or philosophical.

Members don't see this ad.

I have similar thoughts on things though no input on the actual programs.

1) 3 vs. 4hr from family not that differnt....Maryland
I dont think you will have a prob getting job anywhere from either of those places. Unless you want to end up highly academic...boston is not necessary for jobs.

Nicer weather and living in Balt vs. Pitt this i know from experience. I have family in both. Balt is reasonably cool downtown. I personally like it but if you are used to NYC/Boston ANYWHERE is going to be a step down. but.....balt close to DC. THe coast. Pitt in the middle of nowhere. Having been both places many times....i prefer Balt.

Peds....cant commment on. I'd imagine you will get enough anywhere.

Trauma....by far you will be prepared any of those places however....balt is sick. I have friends who have rotated there as residents and they are more than comfortable given the set up and volume you see. If trauma is what you want go there.

All in all....dont sacrifice social issues for "good" training....you will get "great" training at either of those places. However if your true gut is calling you to Pitt its not a terrible place. Suburbs are nice....its pretty in the mountains and the airport is big enough that you are a quick flight home.

Just my thoughts...take them for what its worth....check out my post "virgin" if you get a chance I would like your opinion as well.

Thanks....beth

It sounds like the things that are important to you are city, social atmosphere, proximity to family/friends, and training. Based on these things I think the clear choice is BIDMC....

1) BIDMC .... (closest to friends/family, best city, great reputation)
2) Pitt ........ (okay city, most well-rounded program, but bad weather and far from family)
3) Maryland... (baltimore kinda sucks, social scene not too hot, you only get a couple months of trauma)

Members don't see this ad :)
The family issue is a tough one, but I'll say that for me 1) it's never a bad thing to have supportive family/friends nearby and 2) if you anticipate any catastrophes in the near future, being in a convenient location + supportive program are important.

For me, I'm not particularly close to my family, but my parents are freakin' ancient, so being conveniently close to home (eg at a major airport hub) is very important... so important that it will probably push programs that are less appealing higher on my rank list and vice versa.

Otherwise, if you parents/sibilngs are young + healthy and you're not particularly tight with them, I say that living somewhere different is an invaluable experience... but, then, that's also an opinion.

Otherwise, I don't know anything about those three programs.

Thank you, folks, for the advice. Anyone else want to weigh in? I really appreciate any advice about the programs or the cities.

Take care!

I'm only familiar with BIDMC. It seemed like a pretty cool program. I think the optional 4th year is a great idea, personally. I do recall some mention that Rosen may be retiring at some point in the near future (if that matters to you). One or two of the residents struck me as being a bit odd, but overall it seemed like a good group. I'd be happy matching there and will rank it.

hope it's the young Rosen that's retiring