1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Help with tuition advisement

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by blueberriexc, Aug 12, 2011.

1. blueberriexc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm going to Long Island University this year for pre pharmacy and my tuition is about 33K a yr. I have a scholarship for 7.5K and I have the max fafsa is giving 5.5K but that still leaves me about 20K. My parents cant pay that much would the school give me more scholarships or grants since my efc is 0? or would I have to take out loans. What is the max subsidized loan a undergrad can take out? I'm new to this sorry if my questions are stupid . Any advise is appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD
    Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your question isn't stupid, but your actions are. You couldn't find a school with a pre-pharmacy program with tuition less than $33K/year? How about SUNY? Tuition is $5K and at least the Buffalo campus has pre-pharmacy. Why would you ever think that was a reasonable amount to pay for undergraduate tuition? How are you going to pay those loans back ON TOP OF pharmacy school loans on a salary of $75K?

I would be hesitant to pay $33K a year for med school. I'd never do it for undergraduate.

As far as your questions, ask the school's financial aid office if they'll offer you any scholarships. They probably won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The maximum subsidized loans for an undergraduate are :

http://tinyurl.com/3q2dq52

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp#02

$3500.

You realize that's included in the $5500 you already have, right? That means you need to come up with another, what, $20K in expensive loans. And that's just for the first year.

Do yourself a favor and go to a school you can afford. You probably still have time to get into a community college for this year and can then transfer to a university for next year.

4. blueberriexc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I applied really late and didnt know what schools to apply too, so i applied to LIU and I was really happy LIU accepted me,but it seems they accept alot of pre pharmacy students.Also back then I thought that fafsa would cover me. Now that I know better I think I should skip this year and apply next year to Saint John,Buffalo or Albany. What do you think? At least Saint John has a 0-6 yr program.Your comment was very helpful, it was an eyeopener I didn't think i had any other choices.

5. SeekerofTruth

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Blueberrie, you would definitely get into St. John's. At least it has a guaranteed acceptance.