Help with tuition advisement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueberriexc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to Long Island University this year for pre pharmacy and my tuition is about 33K a yr. I have a scholarship for 7.5K and I have the max fafsa is giving 5.5K but that still leaves me about 20K. My parents cant pay that much would the school give me more scholarships or grants since my efc is 0? or would I have to take out loans. What is the max subsidized loan a undergrad can take out? I'm new to this sorry if my questions are stupid . Any advise is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to Long Island University this year for pre pharmacy and my tuition is about 33K a yr. I have a scholarship for 7.5K and I have the max fafsa is giving 5.5K but that still leaves me about 20K. My parents cant pay that much would the school give me more scholarships or grants since my efc is 0? or would I have to take out loans. What is the max subsidized loan a undergrad can take out? I'm new to this sorry if my questions are stupid . Any advise is appreciated.

Your question isn't stupid, but your actions are. You couldn't find a school with a pre-pharmacy program with tuition less than $33K/year? How about SUNY? Tuition is $5K and at least the Buffalo campus has pre-pharmacy. Why would you ever think that was a reasonable amount to pay for undergraduate tuition? How are you going to pay those loans back ON TOP OF pharmacy school loans on a salary of $75K?

I would be hesitant to pay $33K a year for med school. I'd never do it for undergraduate.

As far as your questions, ask the school's financial aid office if they'll offer you any scholarships. They probably won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The maximum subsidized loans for an undergraduate are :

http://tinyurl.com/3q2dq52

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp#02

$3500.

You realize that's included in the $5500 you already have, right? That means you need to come up with another, what, $20K in expensive loans. And that's just for the first year.

Do yourself a favor and go to a school you can afford. You probably still have time to get into a community college for this year and can then transfer to a university for next year.

I applied really late and didnt know what schools to apply too, so i applied to LIU and I was really happy LIU accepted me,but it seems they accept alot of pre pharmacy students.Also back then I thought that fafsa would cover me. Now that I know better I think I should skip this year and apply next year to Saint John,Buffalo or Albany. What do you think? At least Saint John has a 0-6 yr program.Your comment was very helpful, it was an eyeopener I didn't think i had any other choices.

Blueberrie, you would definitely get into St. John's. At least it has a guaranteed acceptance.