Help with UCLA, UCSD, and Drexel post bac Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jep42

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Future Docs.. I need help.

I've been invited for interviews for the post bac programs at UCLA and UCSD and for the smp at Drexel...

Can you please help me prepare?

If anyone knows any of the questions I may be asked, please let me know.

Thanks so much..

Members don't see this ad.

jep42 said:
Future Docs.. I need help.

I've been invited for interviews for the post bac programs at UCLA and UCSD and for the smp at Drexel...

Can you please help me prepare?

If anyone knows any of the questions I may be asked, please let me know.

Thanks so much..

Do a search for interview questions. Should be behavioral. They want you to explain yourself in detail and detail your experiences.

Having completed one of these post-bacs myself, I can tell you some qualities they are looking for. First, you really have to show a strong commitment to improving yourself as an applicant. It doesn't mean just showing up to class, but really getting in there and striving to acheive that A. With each passing year, the UC's threaten to cut post-bac funding, so they want people willing to get out there and prove the opposition wrong via academic success/gaining med school admission. Secondly, just relax and be yourself. Having gone through both med school interviews and the post bac ones, the med school ones were way scarier! You'll just be asked background info and also they'll want to see how good your grasp is on healthcare issues. Don't freak out if you don't know everything...by the time you complete the program, you will know sooooooooooo much more. If you get a choice between UCSD and UCLA, choose UCSD. There is TONS of academic and moral support/more clinical opportunities than you'll know what to do with. You just have to be willing to take the inititative. Hope that helps...

runner0382 said:
Do a search for interview questions. Should be behavioral. They want you to explain yourself in detail and detail your experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
runner0382 said:

thanks so much for your reply! i will do a search and get the details down.

BruinSrta said:
Having completed one of these post-bacs myself, I can tell you some qualities they are looking for. First, you really have to show a strong commitment to improving yourself as an applicant. It doesn't mean just showing up to class, but really getting in there and striving to acheive that A. With each passing year, the UC's threaten to cut post-bac funding, so they want people willing to get out there and prove the opposition wrong via academic success/gaining med school admission. Secondly, just relax and be yourself. Having gone through both med school interviews and the post bac ones, the med school ones were way scarier! You'll just be asked background info and also they'll want to see how good your grasp is on healthcare issues. Don't freak out if you don't know everything...by the time you complete the program, you will know sooooooooooo much more. If you get a choice between UCSD and UCLA, choose UCSD. There is TONS of academic and moral support/more clinical opportunities than you'll know what to do with. You just have to be willing to take the inititative. Hope that helps...

thank you so much for the insight! i have ucla this week and ucsd in april. i'm really excited to be given the chance to interview. i really hope i can do well. i also really appreciate the advice with ucla vs. ucsd. i just hope i can get into one.

congrats on medschl interviews! i take it, you're already in.

thank you for the help!

the drexel post bac interview was very relaxed; it was a phone interview with one of the program's former students. she was laid back, and we basically chatted for about forty five minutes. the usual, why med school, what's your healthcare experience, etc.

zahque said:
the drexel post bac interview was very relaxed; it was a phone interview with one of the program's former students. she was laid back, and we basically chatted for about forty five minutes. the usual, why med school, what's your healthcare experience, etc.
If you interview w/ Drexel, do you have a high chance of acceptance to one of their post-bacc programs?

i was referring to my post-bac interview; i wasn't interviewed by the medical school when i applied this year. on the contrary, i was rejected outright very soon after my application was complete. i heard, through a high-ranking individual on the admissions board, that they weigh your bcpm gpa quite strictly compared to other schools.

still, i obtained a post-bac interview rather quickly, so who knows. i'm not sure there's any real correlation between the two. although assuming you were granted an interview at the medical school, your stats are probably high enough to guarantee you a post-bac interview.

No, I meant if you got a post-bacc interview w/ Drexel, would you have a good chance of getting into a post-bacc program.

I thought these post bac program only take re-applicants, do they take first time application?

What are the pros/cons of UCSD's vs. UCLA's Post Bac programs? Does anyone know the Pos Bac program's acceptance rates to medical school? Is it better that UCLA only focuses on re-applicants vs. UCSD focuses on both first time and reapplicants? Does it matter? Is there more support at UCSD? Does either school have conditional acceptance/linkage/give preference? Thanks

Where did you deicde to go after all, to UCLA or UCSD Post Bac? How did you decide? Would you still make that same choice now?
thanks.

Is there a website you can go to to get more info about the UC programs?

I just cancelled an interview at UCSD so hopefully one of you gets that spot. My interviewer was going to be Saundra Kirk and she is a great person so just relax and have fun with it.